Active Topics

Notices

I can't connect to a Real VNC Server running on a 32 bit Windows XP. I get connection errors. This is what I have tried and the errors I get:

192.168.0.1 (Error: Connection failed: )
192.168.0.1:0 (Error: Connection failed: )
192.168.0.1:5800 (Java server port - Error: Could not connect to server)
192.168.0.1:5900 (Connection port - Error: Connection failed: )

In all the variations except when trying the port 5800, the error comes almost immediately. It almost feels like that it doesn't even try to connect. When using the port 5800, however, it takes some time, so it's at least trying.

I'm able to connect fine to this IP address from Windows computer running the Real VNC Client. But just in case I tried even to disable the firewall, but that did not help either.

Pinging to this IP works fine. But for the ping to work, I have to use "sudo gainroot".

Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you for your help.

Posts: 124 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Northern DFW
Is your tablet in the 192.168.0. subnet as well, or are you trying to connect via 3g or something?

The Following User Says Thank You to jiiv For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jiiv View Post
Is your tablet in the 192.168.0. subnet as well, or are you trying to connect via 3g or something?
Yes, it's in the same subnet.

Does the n900 have telnet? If so, can you:
telnet 192.168.0.1 5900
from the tablet? (Sorry, my n900 hasn't arrived yet so I'm not sure whether telnet's included.)
Your windows desktop is definitely 192.168.0.1? That's not a gateway (router) address or anything?

Does the n900 have telnet? If so, can you:
telnet 192.168.0.1 5900
from the tablet? (Sorry, my n900 hasn't arrived yet so I'm not sure whether telnet's included.)
Your windows desktop is definitely 192.168.0.1? That's not a gateway (router) address or anything?
No, I don't have telnet. Where can I get it?

The IP address I gave is just an example. But I got yes, I'm using the correct IP and both are in the same subnet.

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dundee
Originally Posted by Sasler View Post
I can't connect to a Real VNC Server running on a 32 bit Windows XP. I get connection errors. This is what I have tried and the errors I get:

192.168.0.1 (Error: Connection failed: )
192.168.0.1:0 (Error: Connection failed: )
192.168.0.1:5800 (Java server port - Error: Could not connect to server)
192.168.0.1:5900 (Connection port - Error: Connection failed: )

In all the variations except when trying the port 5800, the error comes almost immediately. It almost feels like that it doesn't even try to connect. When using the port 5800, however, it takes some time, so it's at least trying.

I'm able to connect fine to this IP address from Windows computer running the Real VNC Client. But just in case I tried even to disable the firewall, but that did not help either.

Pinging to this IP works fine. But for the ping to work, I have to use "sudo gainroot".

Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you for your help.
I think your desktop would be between 192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.199 range. please someone correct me if I'm wrong but my desktop, laptop, xbox are 100 101 102 etc.
Not great with networking but I think yours should be 192.168.0.xxx:5800 (xxx=desktop address). Also ensure firewall ports are opened for 5800 and 5900 on xp and router i think.
Again please correct me If im wrong.

Last edited by MonkeyMagic; 2009-12-04 at 22:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to MonkeyMagic For This Useful Post:
OK, good. I'm honestly not really sure where to get telnet for the n900, perhaps someone can chime in?
If your firewall is off there's no other firewall between tablet & desktop, the tablet can ping the desktop, and the VNC server is running on the desktop, there really shouldn't be any issues...we're sure you can still connect from another desktop in that subnet?
Sorry, it's a bit hard to troubleshoot without telnet/nmap/tcpdump/whatever, and I'm not sure what's available for the n900 yet.

Originally Posted by MonkeyMagic View Post
Also ensure firewall ports are opened for 5800 and 5900 on xp and router i think.
FYI, only need 5900 for VNC.

I'm about to leave the office here, but could you post the output of
sudo ifconfig wlan0
? (I'm ...assuming that the wireless interface is wlan0...)

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dundee
FYI, only need 5900 for VNC.
cool thanks. I just thought 5900 was for viewing through web browser. Not got my n900 yet but look forward to vn with it. I'll refer back to here for info.

The Following User Says Thank You to MonkeyMagic For This Useful Post: