Active Topics

There is a better choice out there. I cancelled my pre-order, and I will never go near Nokia again.

But I want to let you all know there is another option out there, and it is BETTER. The open Pandora gaming handheld is finally getting very very close to launch. It is a clamshell gaming handheld, has larger screen like the NITs, it does not have cell phone funtions or 3G... but in the US tmobile 3g is a poor option anyway. Most everything about this device is even BETTER than the N900, it also runs a full open version of *nix... and is not controlled by a corporate entity. That is the BEST part of the pandora, a group of enthusiasts got together to get them built, not some company that doesnt care about customers and screws everyone over. Here are some of the specs:

# Texas Instruments OMAP3530 processor at 600MHz (officially)
# 256MB DDR-333 SDRAM
# 512MB NAND FLASH memory
# IVA2+ audio and video processor using TI's DaVinci™ technology (430MHz C64x DSP)
# ARM® Cortex™-A8 superscalar microprocessor core
# PowerVR SGX530 (110MHz officially) OpenGL ES 2.0 compliant 3D hardware
# integrated Wifi 802.11b/g (up to 18dBm output)
# integrated Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR (3Mbps) (Class 2, + 4dBm)
# 800x480 resolution LTPS LCD with resistive touch screen, 4.3" widescreen, 16.7 million colors (300 cd/m2 brightness, 450:1 contrast ratio)
# Dual analog controllers
# Full gamepad controls plus shoulder buttons
# Dual SDHC card slots (up to 64GB of storage currently)
# headphone output up to 150mW/channel into 16 ohms, 99dB SNR (up to 24 bit/48KHz)
# TV output (composite and S-Video)
# Internal microphone plus ability to connect external microphone through headset
# Stereo line level inputs and outputs
# 43 button QWERTY and numeric keypad
# USB 2.0 OTG port (1.5/12/480Mbps) with capability to charge device
# USB 2.0 HOST port (480Mbps) capable of providing the full 500mA to attached devices (examples include USB memory, keyboard, mouse, 3G modem, GPS)
# up to two externally accessible UARTs and/or four PWM signals for hardware hacking, robot control, debugging, etc.
# un-brickable design with integrated boot loader for safe code experimentation
# Power and hold switch useful for "instant on" and key lockout to aid in media player applications on the go
# Runs on the Linux operating system (2.6.x)
# Dimensions: 140x83.4x27.5mm
# Weight: 335g (with 4000mAh battery)

I am thrilled to be getting this device as opposed to the N900, I was never going to use the camera on the N900 or the GSM portion, I will be able to use skype on the pandora... and its only $330!!!

One of the greatest things, is they let the community know what is going on with the launch. They dont lie and hide things, they keep everyone up to date. Their forums are not filled with shipping threads, everyone doesnt have to spend time putting rumors together and trying to figure out where and who are getting the few first devices. Look here for that info:

http://openpandora.org/index.php?opt...mid=13&lang=en

This is their main site, please check it out:
http://openpandora.org/

I have been enthusiastic about Maemo in the past, but it is unfortunate that Nokia will be controlling it. Instead of them looking out for what is best for the OS, they will look out for what is best for Nokia's bottom line. I will be looking into Mer for my N800, and still have high hopes for ARM linux on handhelds, but I am done with anything Nokia.

Also, for those that need cell internet to be able to get online anywhere, consider spending the extra $ you save getting the pandora, on a 3/4g to wifi router. There are a lot of good option out there, and a portable cell to wifi router + the pandora will still be cheaper than the N900

Last edited by 11/(14-17)/09; 2009-11-27 at 00:11.

The Following User Says Thank You to 11/(14-17)/09 For This Useful Post:
That device looks horrendous!
Fair for a 4000mAh battery..

You would still carry a phone, now 2 things to carry around with you, so why not get the N900..

Posts: 35 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Surrey
I preordered one within the first 20 minutes of it going live last year 2008. I am currently is the queue position 400-500 so should get it before christmas fingers crossed. I love all my Retro gaming (Emulators) won't be doing much on the n900 as the controlls but the open pandora will be getting a lot of gaming action from me. I still love the N900 and I will be carrying both of these in my man bag :-)

I might end up carrying a cell to wifi router, but I wont carry a cell phone, I will be able to use skype just fine.... and it will be practically free.

I suppose this would appeal more to the enthusiast or developer/early adopter market. Like the NITs, it is not meant for the average retail phone user, and it is not meant to be a phone, it is meant to be a mobile computer. Not a PDA or smartphone or other limited device, it is meant to be a full computer to do what you can do on a netbook etc.

I will not be getting an N900 because I have come to realize that all the issue with shipping are a stark example of why a single corporate entity should not control an open OS. The open model just does not fit with the corporate model. There are conflicting goals, and in the case of Maemo, Nokia's monetary goals will ruin any advantage that the openness of Maemo gives.

Congrats noel, I will be eager to hear when you get it, and your thoughts after getting it. I am super excited, and cannot wait, I really think the pandora will do absoultely everything I need. I will be able to replace almost everything I currently carry around with the pandora.

Last edited by 11/(14-17)/09; 2009-11-27 at 00:28.

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
It looks technically very good actually, though the casing is quite ugly and even chunkier than the N900.

The specs are so close to the N900 that porting Maemo to it would be a serious option!

Tbh, if I'd known about the OpenPandora before finding out about the N900*, and if it had 3g built in capable of telephony as well as data (tethering to another device will only provide data), I'd probably have ordered the OpenPandora and used a Bluetooth earpiece to make phone calls with it.

But it doesn't, so I'll stay in the preorder-queue-of-unknown-length for an N900 for know.

It's good to know there is serious open competition of similar technical capability out there. And it's lovely to know that open source minded non-corporation groups can make such technically up to date hardware - at least inside, if not the design aesthetic

* - I knew about Maemo from the beginning, but I always knew I'd only be interested when it was a phone too, and did rather wonder when the first Maemo device came out why it was missing a simple cellular modem that would have made all the difference. Now with hindsight the "plan" makes more sense.

Originally Posted by 11/(14-17)/09 View Post
I will not be getting an N900 because I have come to realize that all the issue with shipping are a stark example of why a single corporate entity should not control an open OS. The open model just does not fit with the corporate model. There are conflicting goals, and in the case of Maemo, Nokia's monetary goals will ruin any advantage that the openness of Maemo gives.
They are certainly somewhat in conflict, but remember that even corporations vary, and sometimes change the way they do things.

From the outside, it looks like Nokia is dabbling in open source (seriously, but not with the full company committed), but there is a part of Nokia (the Maemo part) which is trying to find a way to make the combination work, and which may grow if it does work.

Since nobody else has seriously tried in this area, it's hard to know whether it will succeed. (And if it fails with Nokia in the end, that doesn't mean it can never work with anyone. And if Nokia does shy away from openness, because open source, Nokia will still have left a legacy that others can build on).

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
There is a better choice out there. I cancelled my pre-order, and I will never go near Nokia again.

But I want to let you all know there is another option out there, and it is BETTER. The open Pandora gaming handheld is finally getting very very close to launch.
I think a lot of people are going to get a good laugh out of this post. Don't take it too personally.

You just posted prematurely. A little more research would have probably made you write a very different post.

As far as I know, finding something that is clearly better than the N900 is almost impossible. Some people might find something that suits their own needs better (maybe an iPhone, maybe a Droid/Milestone), but those products all fall short of the N900 in some very important ways.

Pandora is well known on these forums. No one would say it is the N900 killer.

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainX For This Useful Post:
Well if size or design doesnt matter I guess there's alot of options out there. I don't think the pandora would fit in my pocket and then I could just get a laptop. Otherwise it seems really great.

Posts: 280 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Switzerland
He's completely right about Nokia's attitude. It doesn't fit the device at all.

But you have to admit, the N900 is just a better package...

it also runs a full open version of *nix... and is not controlled by a corporate entity
Hey, something's fishy about this claim.

How can it have a PowerVR chipset and be "open"?

PowerVR are so closed that they've ruined Intel's previously glowing reputation for open graphics for Linux. (In fact they're not even providing decent closed graphics for Linux either. Search for Linux + Poulsbo.)

If you're going to call a device that has major closed source components "open" and "not controlled by a corporate entity" - well, N900 satisfies that definition too.

You realise you don't have to run the Nokia official version of Maemo on your N900, don't you?

I like my devices as open as I can get, too. The N900 is disappointing in many respects, in that department. But I don't see that OpenPandora is any better, unless they have managed to produce some open source drivers that Nokia have not? In which case, that would be absolutely wonderful as we could port those drivers to the N900

The Following User Says Thank You to jjx For This Useful Post:

Tags
pandora makes n900 cry, pandora slays n900, thanks for the laugh