When booting up the n900 the startup video with the two hands touching that was really high quality and crisp and it made me curious how videos and movies would play on the n900.

So yesterday i started throwing in random videos from my pc "avi. divx. xvid", and etc without doing anything with it just to see which video can it play without converting anything. But 10 out of 10 video i transferred into my phone none of them worked.

Do i need codec or something in order for it to work or is there something else?

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo
I am not sure exactly what formats the inbuilt media player supports, but for things like this I would be looking towards VLC. Check the Multimedia part of forum (http://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=32) for more threads around this.
Canolola2 might also be useful?

sorry to be so vaugue

Last edited by ymb; 2009-11-25 at 08:13.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I've made quite the opposite experience. Most stuff I throw at the N900 without transcoding plays smooth and fine. Even hires stuff, as long as it's not HD. My netbook does not play HD content fluently either.

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
What did the mediaplayer say when you tried to play these movies?
IMHO it runs most movies I tested. In addition, it is based on the GStreamer framework, so it will be quite easy to add additional codecs.
Best thing would be to open the movies on your PC with VLC, then post the video and audio codec information here.

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

today i tired throw more movies into it and most are seem to be working.

what i got with some of my error was something like this

"media cannot be played"

"audio is not supported'

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 498 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Poland
Just transcode the AC-3 audio to MP3 or AAC and it will play. It does play DivX/XviD/H.264 video, among others, so the only problem I've had was to transcode the audio. In Linux I find that Avidemux does that without any issues. Just remember to downmix to stereo and choose reasonable bitrate.

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
IMHO it runs most movies I tested. In addition, it is based on the GStreamer framework, so it will be quite easy to add additional codecs.
are additional gstreamer-plugins available in the extras-testing/devel repos? are mkv-containers supported? subtitles?

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 498 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Poland
Originally Posted by ccc1 View Post
are additional gstreamer-plugins available in the extras-testing/devel repos? are mkv-containers supported? subtitles?
Why don't you try searching for yourself.

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by ccc1 View Post
http://wiki.maemo.org/Documentation/...n_Media_Player

Originally Posted by Tomaszd View Post
Just transcode the AC-3 audio to MP3 or AAC and it will play. It does play DivX/XviD/H.264 video, among others, so the only problem I've had was to transcode the audio. In Linux I find that Avidemux does that without any issues. Just remember to downmix to stereo and choose reasonable bitrate.

thanks i will try this...