Active Topics

Just open the web browser and set the url to be /usr/ or similar. Then navigate around as much as you like.

Apologies if this is in the manual, I don't do manuals

None of the pansy "video" or "documents" crap

Yep works. You know how to do this from another computer on the network?

See my other thread... have installed ssh but can't connect because I don't know user names/passwords!

Cool trick. Didn't know about that.

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ St.Louis
What do you mean *real* files? Could you explain a bit further what you are doing.

My 770 is on order and I'm trying to learn as much about it as I can before it arrives...I'm retired and I'm trying to prove to myself that you really can teach an old dog new tricks

Thanks,
Flip

Originally Posted by Smiley Dan
Just open the web browser and set the url to be /usr/ or similar. Then navigate around as much as you like.

Apologies if this is in the manual, I don't do manuals

None of the pansy "video" or "documents" crap

Originally Posted by Fliptrx
What do you mean *real* files?
The "File Manager" app, only shows files in your /home/user/MyDocs directory, your RS-MMC card and on Bluetooth paired devices.

If you want to have a look around the rest of the linux filesystem, the browser is a great way to do it - you could do it with xterm (if you install it), but it saves all that typing of directory names...

Cheers ... Gwaant

You can use File Manager to browse the entire filesystem creating a symbolic link into MyDocs directory. You must use X Terminal Emulator to do that. Open it and write:
Code:
cd ~/MyDocs
ln -s / Root
You can change Root for another name you like.

I find it a bit slow sometimes, i think is because some directories have a lot of files.
Of course you can make any symbolic links pointing other directories as well.

Thanks for the symbolic link tip! Is there a way to get File Manager to show all files? (unknown extensions and hidden files)

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ St.Louis
Originally Posted by Gwaant
The "File Manager" app, only shows files in your /home/user/MyDocs directory, your RS-MMC card and on Bluetooth paired devices.

If you want to have a look around the rest of the linux filesystem, the browser is a great way to do it - you could do it with xterm (if you install it), but it saves all that typing of directory names...

Cheers ... Gwaant
Hey, thanks...I probably wouldn't need access to those files anyway, but if I ever do, I now know how to do it.

I'm a novice but I learn a lot just by reading...I actually installed new usb2 ports on this old Dell a few weeks ago and was so proud of myself I may never stop talking about it...

...to the point I've been told not to let it go to my head

Originally Posted by MikeB
Thanks for the symbolic link tip! Is there a way to get File Manager to show all files? (unknown extensions and hidden files)
I don't know. Maybe it is hardcoded.