Using fanoush's system (http://fanoush.webpark.cz/maemo/#initfs) I had previously cloned (copied) my root file system to both my 1gb and 2gb mmc cards. Now that I have downloaded and installed the new operating system to my internal (flash) memory, I desire to again copy it to my 2gb Kingston mobile mmc card. Do I need first to delete the earlier file system currently on my ext2 partition on my card, or will following fanoush's directions serve to automatically replace the current file system on the card? And since I've already established dual-booting through appropriate flashing, at what point in fanoush's instructions (using the #2.3 method) do I commence this operation?

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Yes the procedure is same. Do it when system booted from flash. There is no need to delete previous system from mmc (if you use 'rsync -avH --delete source/ destination/') but it won't hurt.

In fact it may be a good idea to format second mmc partition again (mke2fs /dev/mmcblk0p2) like said in the beginning of instructions (part 2 of https://maemo.org/maemowiki/HowTo_BootRootFSFromMMC ) . Especially if system on mmc previously crashed few times and was not repaired by e2fsck.

In following above instructions, I have successfuly deleted my previous system from the mmc and reformatted the second ext2 partition on the mmc. Then, in following part 2 of the maemo instructions, I successfully got as far as the following command:

"mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock4 /floppy -o rw,rpsize=1024,rpuid=0,rpuid=30000"

when the following error message resulted:

"mount: Mounting /dev/mtdblock4 on /floppy failed: No such file or directory"

I listed my /dev directory and found that the mtdblock4 file was there, but there was no /floppy directory listed, so I presume that the reference to there being "no such file or directory" was referring to the "floppy."

Any suggestions for resolving this problem? Many thanks.

Originally Posted by ascherjim
I listed my /dev directory and found that the mtdblock4 file was there, but there was no /floppy directory listed, so I presume that the reference to there being "no such file or directory" was referring to the "floppy."

Any suggestions for resolving this problem? Many thanks.
Create a /floppy directory! or use another one
become root in xterm and execute
Code:
mkdir /floppy
Greetings
N770-Freak

N770-Freak: That worked fine. Except that I inadvertently created the floppy directory with a "mkdir floppy" command instead of your recommended "mkdir /floppy" command. After realizing this, I had to remove the "/" from the floppy designations in all of the maemo commands that followed. But everything then, as I said, worked all right. One curious aspect though: My memory card seems to have acquired a number of files designated as "FSCKOO(number).REC" numbered 0 through 18. I have no idea what these are and whether I should keep them. Anyway, many thanks to you, and fanoush, for your help.