Active Topics

Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
I know we all can't wait for the postman to come knocking, parcel in hand hopefully 17th/18th ish. But I cant help but wonder if it will be a success story amonst the "general users". Will it have the same impact as the Iphone? the same sales figures ect...

Im only asking as the next generation or evolution of the N900 I guess depends on how this device sells and is accepted as not just a toy or plaything for enthusiasts.
I know the interface is alot more appealing and user friendly but is this going to be enough to get everyone on board and not be considered as a niche product for the few.

Time will tell I suppose..

Banned | Posts: 537 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ N900 LAND
Yes if Nokia start working for there money ie adverts etc then i see no reason why it cant topple the ifone.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by casper27 View Post
Time will tell I suppose..
Correct.

codename: short message system

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Same impact as iPhone? Not in the US, but maybe elsewhere.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Same impact as iPhone? Not in the US, but maybe elsewhere.
I agree, I don't think n900 has a chance in hell in the USA right now. Besides the fact that the iPhone pretty much dominates the mindshare (and marketshare probably) in the USA. The n900 can only do EDGE on AT&T, the largest GSM provider in the states. TMobile is limited mostly to the East Coast and major cities in the states. It's currently unsubsidized (people are used to buying their devices subsidized in the USA). Then you have competitors like the Droid and other Android phones (and BlackBerries).

And on top of that the way Nokia's shipping the n900 out they're going miss this year's holiday season at their current pace. Though as it is they'd only be fufilling pre-orders anyway (though they may be losing pre-orders if people don't get their devices by December).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 129 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Switzerland
Success has to be measured against a target. If there is not target defined, there can't be any success.
So by which target do you mean the N900 to be a success? By Nokias? We possibly can't know Nokias aims for the N900. Is it just to bring Maemo a step further, eg. the device itself plays a secondary role and the system is actually all that matters. Or should the N900 mark a certain milestone in a big business plan and there is a rocksolid figure of units to be sold?
I for myself consider the N900 a success if it meets my expectations, if the following device (building ontop of the N900 base) will exceed my current expectations and if a solid circle of engaged developers can be formed to build up an ecosystem around Maemo and the devices it powers so that I will actually get something out of the device *after* I bought it. I wont consider the N900 a success if it beats the iPhone 3GS in polygon rendering benchmarks, if it beats the Palm Pre in upload speed or anything similar. These are *not* the things which matter (most).

Agree with the U.S thing. I'm sure it'll have a bit of a cult following, but the upfront cost will just scare off too many people unless it gets subsidized. I'm spending more on an n900 than a laptop I bought 3 months ago, most people think I'm crazy

I also just got back from T-mobile, and corporate discounts don't apply to the unlocked phone plans, so in essence the monthly plans I want between AT&T with a subsidized phone are exactly the same as the T-Mobile plan with an unlocked phone ($60/month). /fail.

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Perhaps the same impact like with the N95?

Originally Posted by mattmull View Post
Agree with the U.S thing. I'm sure it'll have a bit of a cult following, but the upfront cost will just scare off too many people unless it gets subsidized. I'm spending more on an n900 than a laptop I bought 3 months ago, most people think I'm crazy

I also just got back from T-mobile, and corporate discounts don't apply to the unlocked phone plans, so in essence the monthly plans I want between AT&T with a subsidized phone are exactly the same as the T-Mobile plan with an unlocked phone ($60/month). /fail.
Yeah there really is no benefit in bringing an unsubsidized phone in the US. And yeah my gf pointed out to me that I'm spending slightly less money on the n900 then what she paid for her brand new spanking modern laptop (though PC companies have been hit hard in the recession).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
i think it will be and already is a hit..i mean...there are more pre-orders around the world then units available...doesn't that speak for itself?

The Following User Says Thank You to Jack6428 For This Useful Post: