Active Topics

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Serbia, Belgrade
I will get my N900 from USA, and i live in Serbia, Europe. I know that my warranty will not be valid here so is it possible to buy European warranty or something like that? Because i don't want to send it back to USA if something bad happens. I hope everything will be fine.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by kopte3; 2009-10-31 at 17:17. Reason: wrong word :)

I'd go for a locally-bought one. I'm from Romania (hi neighbor!) and i'm not even considering buying from US. Not only do transport&custom tax take a lot off the price advantage, it also leaves you without much warranty support. Best throw in a few more dinars and get local support (i found shops here which offer about the same price as nokia online stores in europe)

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
The correct English word is 'warranty', not guaranty. Although in my language its 'garantie', and in yours 'garantni' or 'garancija'.

In US you get 1 year warranty from seller.

Now, manufacturer warranty Nokia's policy is as follows: because you buy product in US, the warranty must be claimed in US. For Nokia this counts for every country. E.g. if you buy in Singapore, only valid in Singapore. If you buy in Australia, only valid in Australia. The only exception Nokia makes is for EU. If you buy in country part of EU, the warranty is valid in EU. According to Nokia.nl also Iceland, Norway, Switzerland, and Turkey, but this list may be out of date. You can find this warranty information on Nokia.rs.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
MrGrim, well, mobile market in my country is a total mess, even the official sellers are rudely expensive. I can bet that the first month or two prices are not going to be lower than 700€, so you get my point neighbor.
For example the lowest price for 5800 now is about 320€, and i bought mine in UK for 270€ 8 months ago.
allnameswereout, thank you for pointing my mistake, i was in a bit of hurry, so i didn't think about it properly, and yes, it's "garancija" on my language.
I don't know, maybe i should call Nokia officials here and ask them what to do. I thought somebody had similar experience. Thanks anyway!

Btw, can some admin please change the name of the thread to: "N900 Warranty" ?

I found the N97 here for the equivalent of about 550 euros, which is the same as nokia online store in, say, germany (of course, more expensive than USA). I called the shop, they say that they do have it. Of course, it's unlocked and without contract.
Note that in the EU all warranties are at least 2 years. So maybe a short trip to Hungaria, Romania or any other EU member of choice may be a good idea
Edit: If you're interested, post again some time after the N900 finally launches (it will probably take some time for it to get here in the 3rd world) and hopefully i can give you more details

The Following User Says Thank You to MrGrim For This Useful Post:
Posts: 13 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ BG, Ruse
Yep, I know what you mean. Several years ago, while Bulgaria was still outside of the EU, the prices were 20-30% higher compared to these in the EU. My advice is to buy from UK or any other EU country (I am not sure whether you have to pay taxes for import from EU).
If you have relatives in the USA and they can bring it to you, so that you could avoid taxes, VAT etc, it is the best choice, but then you won't have warranty.

P.S. The Bulgarian word for warranty is гаранция.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
[off topic] The English word can be guarantee, too. Until relatively recently that was more common in the UK than Warranty[/off topic]

Originally Posted by NikiSk View Post
The Bulgarian word for warranty is гаранция.
Which in latin letter is 'garantzia'. Just to let people know

I have a friend who will buy it in USA and bring it to me. I know i will not have valid warranty in my country, but i will save at least 250€, probably even more. Then i will just have to pray that i didn't get a faulty one.

Posts: 219 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
don't forget the maybe even more important insurance policy. againt theft, dropping it, watering it etc.