Active Topics

Notices

Well, since nokia didn’t drop the N900 in the stores, my passing time hobby is to count the app for Maemo 5. A question from the older maemo.org people:
After the release of the N900, it’s expectable to achieve the numbers of OS 2008 (490) in weeks, months or in years???

Last edited by drm; 2009-11-04 at 16:43.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
the procedure is different, the QA is more stringent, so extras will be populated slower. Weeks ? certainly not, but months vs years will depend on the general popularity of the N900

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Here is the list of software waiting in Testing

http://maemo.org/packages/repository...xtras-testing/

If you have a N900 start testing

Mike C

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mikec For This Useful Post:
And here are the apps in Extras Testing, All queing up ready for takeoff

http://maemo.org/packages/repository...el_free_armel/

Mike C

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikec For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
And here are the apps in Extras Testing, All queing up ready for takeoff

http://maemo.org/packages/repository...el_free_armel/

Mike C

Thanks. It’s nice that there are a lot of things in development. One of the things that in my opinion fail in the maemo community it’s the graphics. In my opinion we should try to involve some supplementary designers.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
their experience will not help the "older maemo.org people" in this case. circumstances are very, very different. it's more difficult to get apps to extras (quality control), there's serious alternatives (ovi store), otoh the device may soon attract a much higher number of users and developers than than the internet tablets did... anything can happen. counting apps in extras may remain an interesting thing to do.

Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
Originally Posted by drm View Post
Thanks. It’s nice that there are a lot of things in development. One of the things that in my opinion fail in the maemo community it’s the graphics. In my opinion we should try to involve some supplementary designers.
I've been trying to help out where I can, I'm not master, but I have some basic to intermediate skills. Any ideas on how designers can better help the developers? Some seem to take us in with open arms, others hate us :S

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
their experience will not help the "older maemo.org people" in this case. circumstances are very, very different. it's more difficult to get apps to extras (quality control), there's serious alternatives (ovi store), otoh the device may soon attract a much higher number of users and developers than than the internet tablets did... anything can happen. counting apps in extras may remain an interesting thing to do.
Is there any feedback from ovi? Any way to know what they are doing besides what we can see in http://maemo.nokia.com/maemo-select/applications ?

Posts: 383 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London UK
Can someone help clear up something for me please?
Am I correct in thinking that only the apps at Ovi are n900 approved?
With extras and extras-testing, are there not risks installing these?
Im thinking specifically of the post I saw about someone filling their system partition up in a couple of days? I'm presuming that was becuase the apps were not n900 optimised??

Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
It would be nice for the developers to provide some screen shorts for the applications. Picture is worth a 1000 word.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to x61 For This Useful Post: