Engadget has this picture up of what they call a 770 based device with GPS support built in. The specs (which are translated from French... badly) don't look all that impressive, so I figure it must be a 770 relative . Supposed to be available before the holidays. Looks a little smaller too. What do you think?

http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/23/n...-770/#comments

The poorly translated original page reads:
Very soon in your vats (before Christmas it is on) SirfIII chip if I am not mistaken and a whole batches of multi-media with Mp3 and Divx…

Edict Veiled more information on the animal:

· Récepteur GPS with chip GPS SiRF III GSC3
· Tactile Ecran TFT LCD of size 3,5 inches, 65 536 colors and of resolution 320 X 240 pixels (QVGA)
· Processeur Samsung S3C2440 given rhythm to 400 MHz
· 64 Mo of RAM
· Port report SD/MMC
· Dimensions: 8,1 X 10,9 X 3 cm
· Poids: 205 G
· Logiciel of navigation Road 66 Navigate 7 with Navteq cartography of Europe on SD 2 Go allowing transborder navigation
· External Adaptateur RDS/TMC for information traffic
· Audio Lecteur (MP3 and WMA)
· Visionneuse of photographs (JPEG and BMP)
· Video Lecteur (WMV, AVI, MPEG4, ASF and MPG)

Tmc in no-claims bonus and it will be available for the festivals.

The Following User Says Thank You to infinitespecter For This Useful Post:
Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
Originally Posted by infinitespecter
Engadget has this picture up of what they call a 770 based device with GPS support built in. The specs (which are translated from French... badly) don't look all that impressive, so I figure it must be a 770 relative . Supposed to be available before the holidays. Looks a little smaller too. What do you think?
Well, not bas as a GPS device, which will be capable of probably something more than the 770 on the multimedia side (because of the CPU higher speed), but it is not reported that a Wifi connection will be available and the screen is just 320x240 so no good internet browsing on it...

Yeah, looks like the 770's kid brother. A somewhat more limited, but GPS enabled, device.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
South-Korea churns out dozens of models like this every day. Most of them even have digital tv receivers built in as well.

The 770 was a revolution, this is a copy.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
If you read further on Engadget, there's no mention of whether this device will run Linux... While the case may look like a 770, there's no relation. That device will play media as well, further divergence from a relationship between the two.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Indeed, if you look at the French site, it mentions WinCE.net.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ah, I thought I'd read that on Engadget but didn't want to say it lest I was corrected. But I was anyway

Don't mention such scary things like WinCE, there could be children around.
Seriously, since I had to use WinCE on a Siemens Simpad everytime I hear that word it scares the wits out of me.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by tirabosco
Don't mention such scary things like WinCE, there could be children around.
Seriously, since I had to use WinCE on a Siemens Simpad everytime I hear that word it scares the wits out of me.
Yes, it does suck big chunks, doesn't it?

Unfortunately, it's also the only platform decent HWR (PenOffice) will run on.

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
GPS = Yay
Video = Yay
Resolution = Boo
SD = Yay

Baby steps, eh Nokia?

Sorry I've been so absent from the boards, all. I got promoted at my "day job" and it's been taking a lot of time.