Hello,

This is my first post on the forum! I want to start developing on the Maemo platform but am having a hard time to know where to start.

A little about my background to put things into context, I am a Software Developer using ColdFusion MX and SQL Server 2005 developing web applications. I have limited knowledge of Java, Perl, and Visual Basic. No real experience of Linux.

I have been reading bits of the Development area of the site, but everything appears to be aimed at developer’s proficient with mobile development.

Please could someone guide me where to start and what I need to learn? I am more than happy to pick up C++ as a starter.

Thanks,

Rav

Posts: 369 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Virginia
Wax on, wax off

Originally Posted by Hogwash View Post
Wax on, wax off
Sorry I didn't understand your reply??

Posts: 199 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ gbg.se
I am not sure what part of the development area you have read, but there is some documentation and guides here:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Documentation/...eveloper_Guide

I am new here myself and not a developer, so I might not be the right person to give advice, but starting to look through that and following threads in the forum could perhaps be a good start. Most of the development is made in Python or C.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nymajoak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 199 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ gbg.se
Welcome to maemo.org by the way!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nymajoak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
don't mind hogwash, he's just playing.

as you have little experience with linux, I believe here would be your best starting point.

Nathan put together a nice and comfy windows vpc image with scripts which will set up a ready to go developement environment.

in there you have QtCreator which is a nice IDE for C++ and Qt. Once you've compiled a few small testapps, you could move on to this document for orientation. keep in mind though, that the dev guide still assumes gtk+ and C as default. Full Qt integration into Fremantle (for controls, widgets etc) will be available in Q1 2010.

The Following User Says Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post:
You are a web-developer (Php and such).
Try Ruby / Python + pyqt (or pyside)
you will like it more, and for the python with qt. It more likely to saves you from setting SDK
Please don't consider any given "Thanks" by this user as a positive sign of grateful; as a leak of giving "-Thanks" is a leaked feature here. You might be rewarded by meaningless "Thanks" by this user.
-Thanks for your understanding

Originally Posted by Rav View Post
Hello,

This is my first post on the forum! I want to start developing on the Maemo platform but am having a hard time to know where to start.

A little about my background to put things into context, I am a Software Developer using ColdFusion MX and SQL Server 2005 developing web applications. I have limited knowledge of Java, Perl, and Visual Basic. No real experience of Linux.

I have been reading bits of the Development area of the site, but everything appears to be aimed at developer’s proficient with mobile development.

Please could someone guide me where to start and what I need to learn? I am more than happy to pick up C++ as a starter.

Thanks,

Rav
Welcome to the maemo. I don't think any of us came from "phone" development. I'm a desktop application developer. The first item on your list is to figure out what you want to develop. It might help decide which way to go.

The two major development languages on the Maemo plateform is C/C++ and Python. You can use other languages; but these two have the majority of the support. Python allows you to test interactively. C/C++ requires a bit more work.

Their is several wiki posts that can get you started (Hit the "Development" button at the top of the screen). I've been playing with both Python and c++ programming.

Qt4 will be the primary support on the next generation product; so if it is a more complex application you might be better off using Qt. But if you are doing a widget, you might be better off with Gtk.

Nathan

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nathan For This Useful Post:
I concur.

Widget - gtk
App - c/c++

That's how I would break it down - with python kinda straddling the line.

Heck, there's no hard-and-fast rule here, but the more involved/intensive a program is destined to be, the closer to the OS you probably want to be coding.

Or so my sphincter keeps telling me....

The Following User Says Thank You to Hogwash For This Useful Post:
PS. I thought my "Karate Kid" goof was fscking hilarious

Philistines