Active Topics

I just read the n900 review from M-symbian. And noticed than he mentioned the limited space for installing apps.... Are there really no way to tell the device to use the full 32gb??? Or even install stuff on the sd card? That sounds pretty bad...

I was worrying about this issue, too until i read the second review from mobile-review.com which pointed out that there will be at least 2gig of application memory:

The N900 has 2Gb reserved for user applications (as opposed to 90Mb in earlier firmware versions).

The Following User Says Thank You to solideogloria For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Unfortunately not. But at least the limited space issues have been resolved and you get at least 1 GB for installing apps. The device cannot use the full 32 GB for apps because when connecting the device via USB to a computer, it acts as mass storage device. If apps were on the exported partition and in use, it couldn't be exported at all.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Logically, however, the adventurous could repartition their device and shrink the exported mass-storage partition and alter the config appropriately. Or they could do what I think would be a good option, and only export an inserted microSD card.

Only downside is I don't know if that's possible non-destructively (and I don't even know what the default filesystem for the N900 is!)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Only downside is I don't know if that's possible non-destructively (and I don't even know what the default filesystem for the N900 is!)
The developer's guide says that /opt is ext3 and MyDocs is vfat. Guess that / is ext3 too.

It should be possible to non-destructively resize those file systems with the right tools?

Last edited by hqh; 2009-09-29 at 19:21.

Hmm, if that's true then an empty MyDocs could be shrunk and the freed space simply formatted ext3 and integrated into the existing directory tree.

Barring any craziness with the usb mass-storage export driver.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Or they could do what I think would be a good option, and only export an inserted microSD card.
That would be really awesome. Maybe this should even be in the GUI so that anyone could choose what to export

I would happily have the whole 32GB formatted as ext3...

I guess I can live with only 2-4gb of application space. but I do hope the space is user resizable.