Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
I had a piece of a song that I had been looking for for an extremely long time. To make it harder, it was a piece of jazz that came out circa 1980. I had recorded this from a jazz show when I was in college, and the song was cut off by the end of the tape.

Over the years, I have consulted jazz efficianados, jazz DJs, and jazz musicians, and no one was able to identify it.

Then, last night, a coworker whips out his iPhone, and fires up an app called Midomi. You can take your microphone-enabled device and play (or sing or hum) the tune into it, and Midomi does some algorithm magic and does its best to identify the song. Its like google for audio clips. He identified this song in about 1 minute.

My first thought was "my N810 has a microphone, speakers and can play back mp3 and ogg. Why don't we have an app like this???"

The app ties in to the midomi.com website. Anyone up for writing an app to interface our devices to the midomi search engine?

--vr

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
got to love it when a iphone app is named, and the referenced, with no consideration that the same name may be used for something else in the open source world (namely a webkit based browser, that one can actually run on the nokia tablets).

anyways, i have heard of such services, tho never tested it.

sonyericsson have included it in their phones for a while i think, and there are also webpages where one can upload recordings and get a return, iirc...

not sure if they can pull of a good match from a hum or some singing tho...

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by tso View Post
got to love it when a iphone app is named, and the referenced, with no consideration that the same name may be used for something else in the open source world (namely a webkit based browser, that one can actually run on the nokia tablets).
Actually, the webkit browser is Midori.

Tim

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
Originally Posted by tso View Post
Er, midomi != midori...

anyways, i have heard of such services, tho never tested it.

sonyericsson have included it in their phones for a while i think, and there are also webpages where one can upload recordings and get a return, iirc...
Thats what midomi.com is. I was requesting an interface from the NIT to the site, similar to the iphone app. basically be able to either hum into the mic or to be able to play a clip and have it uploaded to the site.

not sure if they can pull of a good match from a hum or some singing tho...
I know the quality of the sample I provided my buddy was pretty abyssmal, a digitized copy of a 30 year old cassette, played from the internal speakers of the N810 into the mic of the iphone...I can't see it getting much worse than that...

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i stand corrected...

better get myself some coffee...

sorry...

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
The other great app is shazam id. Test it if you have a s60v3 or s60v5 phone (and it should run on other operating systems, too). It will positively identify 9 tunes out of 10 after taking a 10 secs sample.

Oh how I'd like it on maemo 5! (It's proprietary)

no midomi yet?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by trisha02 View Post
no midomi yet?
Midomi don't appear to offer a public API, and their terms of service prohibit automated access of their site without written permission.