Has anyone had a chance to use a Sony UX? How does the readability of the screen compare to the 770?

The UX screen is better. Higher resolution and brighter. But the UX is big and heavy in comparison to the 770.

Yeah, the UX is huge compared to the N770 and also quite expensive. If I was to get an ultra portable XP capable machine, I would get a OQO Model 1+. It is very svelte and well designed. It is much closer to the internet tablet concept than the UX as well.

But the OQO's processor is a dog.

I am considering the UX280, but I find the 770's screen hard to read for most webpages unless I use the zoom. Was wondering if the UX's better dpi screen really made it easier to read.

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
you can always reset the default font size on the browser so its legible.

I've had my 770 for about 6 months now. I love the size and battery life. I remapped the scroll pad and changed the default font size in Opera, but I still found many web pages too hard to read without using the zoom.

Picked up a Sony UX280P yesterday and installed TabletPC 2005 OS on it. The UX screen is beautifully crisp unlike the 770. But the screen isn't much larger than the 770's and the resolution is 1024x600 which makes for very small text. But Windows lets you change the DPI setting from 96 dpi to 120 dpi. After I did that, Wow!. WebPages load as quick as you'd expect from a 1.2Ghz Centrino processor, and they are legible without zooming.

The UX280P is basically a full Windows notebook that is very portable. It will not fit in your pocket like the 770, but its small enough to fit on your hip .

The latest Flash and Java run with no problems. Big websites don’t cause it to reboot. And with 1 Gig of RAM, you can load up some hefty applications. Microsoft OneNote 2003 with TabletPC 2005 makes me think this is what Apple was shooting for when they came out with the Newton. Hand writing recognition is great. And you have a full keyboard by pushing the screen up.

Battery life is only 2.5 hours, it weights 1.2 lbs and the sticker is about $2k USD. Not really a competitor for the 770, but my first impressions are its one heck of a portable device.

That pic makes the UX look smaller than it really is.

Originally Posted by rr0123
That pic makes the UX look smaller than it really is.
It really is that small. The screen is about the same size as the 770, but the device is much thicker. The last time I had a computer this cool was the IBM PC110. I posted my mini-review for any other gadget freaks that were on the fence about the UX.

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Texas
Originally Posted by Acidus
Battery life is only 2.5 hours, it weights 1.2 lbs and the sticker is about $2k USD.
Price to Performance Ratio (UX/770)=6, so we would expect the Sony to be six times better than the 770. BTW, I paid about that ($2K) for my son's MacBook Pro. Don't even try to compare.

Originally Posted by Odin
Price to Performance Ratio (UX/770)=6, so we would expect the Sony to be six times better than the 770...
I wasn't expecting it, but I'd say at least that.