Hi there,

maybe I'm blind or I missed something while searching here and the official Maemo 5 site, but I haven't found any infos about which protocols will be supportet out of the box in Fremantle and to which extend. I'd need ICQ, MSN and Yahoo (voice and file transfere would be nice). Will this be possible or will we (or I) have to wait untill Pidgin is ported for N900 (if it ever will be)?

Regards,
Glasswalker

edit: chasing typos.....

Last edited by Glasswalker; 2009-09-11 at 08:47.

The Following User Says Thank You to Glasswalker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I remember somebody saying that these protocols will be supported via telepathy-haze out of the box. - Of course, this means you have to live with restrictions (like no voice/video in some cases).

I'd be much more interested in telepathy-idle (for IRC) and -salut (for ad-hoc chats in the local network). Hope they'll be available, easy to install and nicely integrated.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
Well if Jabber is supported most others tend to be available if nowhere else but through jabber transports.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ruskie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 51 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ ChengDu, SiChuan, P.R.C
Maybe you should read that thread.http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=30843

but it looks had some problem now. hope it should got big progress soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to funpig For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Out of the box, those protocols will not be supported however as far as I know Collabora is going to be releasing a package to support them (yes, through telepathy-haze) sometime in the very near future.

They'll be available, don't worry.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
that sounds pretty interessting. i like the idea of a unified embedded IMclient but ithink it would be a problem with different statuses on different clients (invisible in ICQ "collegues", available on MSN"friends" and busy for Gtalk "family"). saw different videos and there was only one status vor AIM,Gtalk and Skype. but its just a guess don't have the device......yet

The Following User Says Thank You to thisandthathereandthere For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by thisandthathereandthere View Post
that sounds pretty interessting. i like the idea of a unified embedded IMclient but ithink it would be a problem with different statuses on different clients (invisible in ICQ "collegues", available on MSN"friends" and busy for Gtalk "family"). saw different videos and there was only one status vor AIM,Gtalk and Skype. but its just a guess don't have the device......yet
That's right, you set your status across all at the same time.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Someone should make a SSH client customized for Irssi running in a Screen and fully integrated in IM platform. Atleast hilights (bell's) should be announced with a bubble "Someone needs your attention!"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joppu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 206 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Switzerland
I have 3 questions aboute the "Messaging" Pre-installed software in Maemo 5:

- Support file transfer?
- Support chat room for XMPP/jabber?
- SMS are managed by the framework Telepathy or a special component?

The Following User Says Thank You to korbé For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by korbé View Post
I have 3 questions aboute the "Messaging" Pre-installed software in Maemo 5:

- Support file transfer?
- Support chat room for XMPP/jabber?
- SMS are managed by the framework Telepathy or a special component?
- Sorry, don't think so.
- I believe that it is supported. Diablo did as well.
- Don't know.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:

Tags
conversations, maemo 5