Poll: What are you looking for now from Nokia (multiple choice)?
Poll Options
What are you looking for now from Nokia (multiple choice)?

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I see that 3 people selected detailed hardware roadmap, but there are no explanations offered on how to make such a thing work (for both major parties). Come on gang... no ideas from the voters at least?
I didn't vote for this but.. can you elaborate on what you mean by that? (You mean using more Linux-friendly chipsets?)

Posts: 250 | Thanked: 122 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Colorado
Well, I think I voted for the detailed hardware roadmap. Basically looking to see what their plans are for hardware that are more community shared, but not completely publicly shared so as to tip off competitors. It's nice, for us tablet users, to know where Nokia is going with their hardware and to gauge a reaction from their users about the type of hardware they are looking to put into the next device(s).

The initial idea is probably not feasible during development, but would be nice to detail during the final stages where things can be changed after initial prototyping.

Jesse~

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I didn't vote for this but.. can you elaborate on what you mean by that? (You mean using more Linux-friendly chipsets?)
Let me take this approach:

-high level hardware roadmap: very broad, very loose, little more than "we [Nokia] will continue to produce internet tablets in various form factors for the next few years at least, typically releasing 1 or 2 per year"

-detailed hardware roadmap: "in 2010 we wil release a slate form April 1, a phone form with keyboard December 25, with the following features..."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jperez2009 View Post
Well, I think I voted for the detailed hardware roadmap. Basically looking to see what their plans are for hardware that are more community shared, but not completely publicly shared so as to tip off competitors. It's nice, for us tablet users, to know where Nokia is going with their hardware and to gauge a reaction from their users about the type of hardware they are looking to put into the next device(s).

The initial idea is probably not feasible during development, but would be nice to detail during the final stages where things can be changed after initial prototyping.

Jesse~
I get where you're going with that, and must say it would be extremely difficult to manage... highly desireable, very useful... but risky for Nokia. It could also fragment the community since there's just no way to pull every member inside a "need to know" circle. That said, it would be great if the logistics could be worked out...

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
This whole poll seems developer-oriented. Why are you polling us users? I just want some products I'd like to buy, which I'm not getting. I guess that's an Other response. All those "roadmap" questions -- I hope they work better than Bush's Israel/Palestine roadmap did.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Geneven-- I'm polling everyone. Sure the poll is more relevant to developers than, say, casual users, but that doesn't mean I'm going to rule out the opinions of anyone. I don't care where a thought comes from in this regard. So your "Other" response is as valuable as anyone's. Thank you.

EDIT: although I would think that even everyday users would be interested in a roadmap of any kind. Continual release of product and updating of operating system tends to indicate a future for the product line, which as a user I would find assuring.

Everyday users could also benefit from "Official channel to Nokia for product improvement ideas" (if they are so inclined) and certainly "Improved product awareness (advertisements, public relations, user groups, other outreach)"

Last edited by Texrat; 2009-08-18 at 00:24.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
As a user I'd like both a general hardware and software(including support) roadmap(s). As a consumer, I'd like to know what is upcoming, so I can make a decision to wait or move on. I'm sure that developers would benefit as well. Something along these lines:

Phone device, Fremantle, no supported upgrade path to Harmatten.(potential community support)
Tablet device, Fremantle, same as phone
1yr+, upgraded phone, Fremantle, Harmatten compatible.
Upgraded tablet, Harmatten
Lower end phone, Harmatten

As a user/consumer, I'd like to see what formats wiil be available and what I can expect in terms of official support. I expect my $ phone to have limited/no support, and get a new one every couple years. If a company wants me to buy a $$$ phone, I expect good support for at least two years, as I will likely keep it longer than that.

Given the confusion here concerning how well Nokia supported the tablets, I'd hesitate to buy a Nokia product (phone-tablet) without a clearer idea of what/how Nokia expects to support it.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
And there's no one that can give you any of that information right now since Nokia hasn't even officially announced their Fremantle device yet. All anyone can give you right now is wild conjecture, sorry.

EDIT: I misunderstood what lemmy was saying... my bad.

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
I'm just ticked that more people have taken this poll than the one I made for Summit merchandise! Blah!

Tim

Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
I'm just ticked that more people have taken this poll than the one I made for Summit merchandise! Blah!

Tim
You're ticked, I'm surprised.

Seriously, maybe it's a sign that they trust your judgment more than mine.

Tags
community, engagement, feedback