Notices

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Do you know G.ho.st? It's an entire OS inside your browser. I'd like to have something similar on my N810. But it should better use VNC instead of the browser's heavy Flash plugin. Is there a place in the where I can get my own virtual desktop? The PC should be in a data center instead of my machine at home.

Any ideas?

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Darmstadt, Germany
Hmm you could simply use the vncviewer software? Provided that a vnc server is set up on the otheer comp...

Originally Posted by mgoebel View Post
Do you know G.ho.st? It's an entire OS inside your browser. I'd like to have something similar on my N810. But it should better use VNC instead of the browser's heavy Flash plugin. Is there a place in the where I can get my own virtual desktop? The PC should be in a data center instead of my machine at home.

Any ideas?
I can feel user desperation when this company suddenly begins to charge users for the service, or goes bankrupt or something else...

Good luck!
L.

Originally Posted by branitar View Post
Hmm you could simply use the vncviewer software? Provided that a vnc server is set up on the otheer comp...
That's it! I need a company that provides a VNC server. My own PC in internet. Do you know any?

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
vnc over the internet? That is usable, just but it's not exactly a nice experience.

VNC over the internet is not nice? That's sad. I thought it was possible now. My DSL connection is 16/1 Mbps. I thought this was enough to have my own virtual PC in a datacenter and access it via VNC from my N810. Too sad.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
Originally Posted by mgoebel View Post
VNC over the internet is not nice? That's sad. I thought it was possible now. My DSL connection is 16/1 Mbps. I thought this was enough to have my own virtual PC in a datacenter and access it via VNC from my N810. Too sad.
OK if you have access to that kind of bandwidth always, then that's fine, but I have a similar bandwidth at home, but when at home if I need a full PC I use a full PC, but when I'm on the road internet connectivity tends to be flaky at best, esp. when in hotels/airports etc.
It's not the bandwidth that is just the problem, it's the latency....

To the original question: does g.ho.st work on the 810? Can anyone with an 810 give it a try?

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
To the original question: does g.ho.st work on the 810? Can anyone with an 810 give it a try?
I can't load it in tear or MicroB.

(For that matter it didn't load in my Firefox on my PC, but maybe I have some setting fouling it; it did load in Google Chrome, and works quite well, at least word processing and file management, which was all I tried.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Illinois
It uses Flash 10 so it won't work with the NIT. I had never even heard of this, but the first thing I had to do when I signed up was to see how many os's I could run in my browser.

I got to an os within an os within an os. I tried to open another os but then ie crashed:

Yes I have too much time on my hands.