Active Topics

Notices

Hi all, new to this BBS...

OK, I think that I have a pretty unique situation. My email account is dead but I have some needed emails on it all of which are on my N810 and I can read them as they are. But i would like to get them into my desktop in a program like thunderbird or even just get the raw database.. Is there a way to do this?

Normally, i would research something like this a bit more, but I only have one shot of doing this so I need to be careful

Thanks,

repoman

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
Is there many emails. It may take a while, but you can highlight all the content (Edit, Select All) and then copy and paste that into a new email (with a new email account) and send it to yourself.

Then you can access the email through Thunderbird.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by repoman View Post
My email account is dead but I have some needed emails on it all of which are on my N810 and I can read them as they are. But i would like to get them into my desktop in a program like thunderbird...
  1. Create an IMAP account somewhere. GMail will work, others will too.
  2. Configure both the email program on your tablet and the email program on your desktop to access that account.
  3. In your tablet's email program, select the email messages you want save and move them to the Inbox (or other folder) in the new IMAP account. ("Edit" -> "Move to..." in Modest)
  4. Move/copy/save the email messages from the new IMAP account to wherever you like using your desktop email program.

Originally Posted by repoman View Post
Normally, i would research something like this a bit more, but I only have one shot of doing this so I need to be careful
If the email cache on the tablet is your only copy I'd recommend you take a backup (at least /home/user/.modest, and /media/mmc{1,2}/.modest if you were using local folders) before trying anything, just in case.