Dear members of the maemo community,

at risk of getting completely outdated by the release of maemo 5, I have decided to make public a small project I put together by implementing a software 3D graphics library for maemo 4:

http://kgraphics.sourceforge.net/

this includes a *minimal* OpenGL wrapper that could be of some help for those of you wanting to port applications to maemo. Please bear in mind that this falls rather short of the full GL functionality.

Also included are some coding examples; here is a little screenshot of one of them:

Hope that some of you may find it interesting, at least for some coding fun.

Best regards

Matt da Monkey

PS I will try moving it to garage, if the project gets accepted

Last edited by mattdamonkey; 2009-06-13 at 04:00.

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to mattdamonkey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Cool! I remember seeing the OpenGL gears demo run on the n810, so there must have been another port also.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Originally Posted by mattdamonkey View Post
Dear members of the maemo community,

at risk of getting completely outdated by the release of maemo 5, I have decided to make public a small project I put together by implementing a software 3D graphics library for maemo 4:

http://kgraphics.sourceforge.net/
As of today (17 Jun 09), the download link on the page referenced above does not work.

The Following User Says Thank You to elschemm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Pretty nice. I was thinking of porting TinyGL... I ported it to PalmOS a year ago and got 4-5 glxgears fps on a Palm T|X and nearly 10 fps on GarnetVM (next to nothing).

This seems already better.

Originally Posted by elschemm View Post
As of today (17 Jun 09), the download link on the page referenced above does not work.
This is my fault, as I haven't defined any release package as such; what it is available through the repository is the source, which can be downloaded as a tarball:

http://kgraphics.svn.sourceforge.net...ar.gz?view=tar

I will tidy it up on the weekend, and put it up in garage.

Regards

da Monkey

The Following User Says Thank You to mattdamonkey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 27 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Singapore
will this compatiable with OpenGL ES interface? So excited to see such a library for Maemo 4. I have searched wiki and find Kate made some suggestion for opengl es on mameo but only for next generation fremantel.
If help needed, please let me know although I am newbie for OpenGL. Currently reading OpenGL SuperBible 4th edition.

Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Pretty nice. I was thinking of porting TinyGL... I ported it to PalmOS a year ago and got 4-5 glxgears fps on a Palm T|X and nearly 10 fps on GarnetVM (next to nothing).
As a matter of fact I tried porting the routines in the rasterisation backend of kgraphics to PalmOS some years ago (they were originally coded for the Pentium I back in 1997). The performance I got on a dragonball-based machine (T|W) was dysmal, but I got some better results on a arm-based Treo 650 (12fps rendering a flat shaded mesh with 1200 polys at 320x320). From what I could read on TinyGL, it uses floating point, which is not supported natively on the arm models used by palm, hence the low performance. Probably a build on the N810 should fare much better, as FP is supported and practically as fast as fixed point arithmetic.

Just out of curiosity, would you happen to know how to produce a PACE dynamic library for PalmOS? I tried using the Garnet SDK distributed by Access but I could only do 68K dl's. I've to add the code to the executable, thus I never though about releasing it...

Thanks

da Monkey

Last edited by mattdamonkey; 2009-06-21 at 22:50.

Originally Posted by pigling View Post
will this compatiable with OpenGL ES interface? So excited to see such a library for Maemo 4. I have searched wiki and find Kate made some suggestion for opengl es on mameo but only for next generation fremantel.
If help needed, please let me know although I am newbie for OpenGL. Currently reading OpenGL SuperBible 4th edition.
I'm afraid the OpenGL support in the wrapper does not even cover the ES standard. It was never meant to be comprehensive, but only to serve as a quick and dirty way to prototype some ideas and effects while compiling from the N810 itself. I normally extend it as the need appears; if you feel like doing so yourself you're very welcome to contribute.

Regards

da Monkey

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by mattdamonkey View Post
Just out of curiosity, would you happen to know how to produce a PACE dynamic library for PalmOS? I tried using the Garnet SDK distributed by Access but I could only do 68K dl's. I've to add the code to the executable, thus I never though about releasing it...
Not at all, but I would start looking at http://www.mobile-stream.com/devzone.html .

Either way and since it seems that requires the propietary, Win32 only "pacc.exe" compiler, I believe the best way to do arm so's is to just use a "PNO Loader on steroids" like peal, which can also act as a dynamic linker (it is in fact a bare-bones elf linker). The linker itself being 68k code means you could call any PNO function from any 68k code.

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I'm very interested in some performance numbers, if you have them...