Active Topics

Notices

In a couple of months, i'm taking a trip to Toronto, Ontario for a week or so. I will be spending a lot of time walking around, and would love to take my N800 and GPS to help me find my way around. What I want to do is pre-load the maps needed (preferably levels 4/6 of google street for the downtown area).

I have tried doing it inside of Maemo Mapper, by displaying the general area I want, going to Menu->Maps->Manage Maps set it to Download Maps, By area, and set it to zoom levels 4 and 6. The downloads begin, but one of two things happen every time I try this. Either A) The wireless disconnects and reconnects constantly, or B) The tablet resets itself. Its almost as if it can't handle that much data coming to it.

I would like to make the downloads on my PC and transfer them to the tablet using my 16GB sd card. Is this possible? I've done some searching and googling, and the only thing I can find is "WinMapper 03.19.2009". I've followed the instructions by using google earth to create the two KML files for top-left and bottom-right, added it into the program, but when i click "Download", a second passes and then it says "All Done!" with obviously not downloading anything.

Any suggestions for either problem?

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Salem, OR
Winmapper is broken.
I didn't have time yet to convert the application to work with the new maemo-mapper. The source code is included in the zip on the website, so if somebody else makes the changes to work with the new version of mm, I will be happy to compile it.

When I get some time on my hands, I'll do it. I have a 6 monts old baby girl... so is kind of hard to take care of my pet projects right now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ioan For This Useful Post:
Edit: NM. Looks like ioan beat me to it. lol.

BTW ioan, congrats dude! And if you have a few minutes and can explain how the gps data correlates to the image addressing system, plus how db entries should be loaded into the sqlite database for MM, I think one of us could possibly whip up something.

Last edited by Lord Raiden; 2009-06-04 at 20:09.

Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
BTW ioan, congrats dude!
Thanks! She's very sweet:
http://picasaweb.google.com/kimberly...59970766937570

And if you have a few minutes and can explain how the gps data correlates to the image addressing system
Well, this is the problem. The new maemo-mapper changed the way how the coordinates are calculated and/or there are some extra zoom levels (?) ... this is where a fix is necessary. I made the original winmapper by converting C code from mm source to Delphi, probably this is the best way to find a fix too.
The problem is somewhere in main.pas, between the lines 126 and 235.

plus how db entries should be loaded into the sqlite database for MM, I think one of us could possibly whip up something.
The database support is already in. Winmapper already writes the tiles and the coordinates in a db that is compatible with mm, the problem is that the new mm doesn't understand the "old kind" of coordinates I'm witting in.

Last edited by ioan; 2009-06-04 at 20:39.

Ah, ok. So what's up with the "out of range" error that occurs when trying to download maps? Is that involved with the problems around like 126-235?

Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
Ah, ok. So what's up with the "out of range" error that occurs when trying to download maps?
I never got that error. Can you tell me the steps to reproduce the error?
Thanks.

Yeah, just open the app, specify your coordinates per the gps coords listed in maemo mapper, and press download. It then errors out.

EDIT: Ok, I tried it again and the exact error was "TProgressBar property out of range".

Last edited by Lord Raiden; 2009-06-05 at 18:49.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Raiden For This Useful Post:
Hello,

My husband made a python-skript for me (see attachment) for downloading google street maps into a sqlite3-db. Works fine. You need Python 2.x und PySQLite 2.x (http://oss.itsystementwicklung.de/trac/pysqlite/) for running.
Attached Files
File Type: zip getmaps.zip (2.2 KB, 520 views)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sencer For This Useful Post:
That's awesome, save for two questions. 1) Is the database it creates readable by Maemo Mapper, and 2) does it do VE Street maps? I don't use the google ones as VEStreet has far more detailed maps with much, much better labeling.

Yes the database works for Maeno Mapper, ist written only for this case. But it doesn't work with VEStreet.