Active Topics

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Perth, Western Australia
G'day,

I've been evaluating the N810 as a replacement PDA for a project at work. The stumbling block has been getting a JRE (Headful) to run our application, which uses AWT to render the GUI.

I've tried the various JREs provided by the excellent Jalimo project and also attempted to build PhoneME Advanced CDC Personal Profile but was ultimately unsuccessful.

What did work for me was Sun's Java SE 6u10 Embedded. An early access version is available for 90-day evaluation from

http://java.sun.com/javase/embedded/

I tried the ARM Linux Headful (EABI, glibc 2.5, Hard Float (VFP), Little Endian) version. It ran our app seamlessly (on OS2008 v5.2008.43-7).

Regards,
Chris.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to cpudney For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
I dont have any idea of java.. but you think this application will work with the current java scenario for the n810. It would be of great help for my studies if it does.

https://www.usmleworld.com/system_requirements.aspx

Thanks

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Managed to run a kiddie game with it and it works. 100% CPU though.

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Perth, Western Australia
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
I dont have any idea of java.. but you think this application will work with the current java scenario for the n810. It would be of great help for my studies if it does.
https://www.usmleworld.com/system_requirements.aspx
Java SE Embedded might satisfy Java the requirements specified in the URL you listed. It's difficult to say...

One thing I didn't find in Java SE Embedded was the Java Plug-In (JPI), i.e. no applet support (I didn't look too hard though).

Also bear in mind that Sun are providing 90-day evaluation versions of Java SE Embedded. After that you need to purchase a license. I think Sun's intention is to license this JRE to (platform) vendors.

Wouldn't it be great if Nokia were to license this JRE for their NITs, esp. given that Sun mention that royalties are as low as $US1 for high volume vendors. This is an early-access release (and appears no to include a JPI) but once the general access release is available it'd be great to see it on NITs by default...

how did you get this to install, i downloaded the file to mmc1, but i don't know what to next, can someone help me.
thanks

Originally Posted by gokuman56 View Post
how did you get this to install, i downloaded the file to mmc1, but i don't know what to next, can someone help me.
thanks
I've just installed Java (based on link above) on my N800 and it works like a charm. Basically, I downloaded the tar.gz file from the Sun site, extracted it in my file space (using 'tar xzf ejre...tar.gz') and then ran the java command found within the ejre-..../bin directory. (where ejre-.... is the directory created by the tar extraction)

HTH,
eric

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ballfresno For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ballfresno View Post
I've just installed Java (based on link above) on my N800 and it works like a charm. Basically, I downloaded the tar.gz file from the Sun site, extracted it in my file space (using 'tar xzf ejre...tar.gz') and then ran the java command found within the ejre-..../bin directory. (where ejre-.... is the directory created by the tar extraction)

HTH,
eric
thanks, is it possible if you could give me step by step information starting after saving the file to mmc1.

thanks

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Just a warning, this is a very big file. I ran out of space and I have 42 MB free.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Just a warning, this is a very big file. I ran out of space and I have 42 MB free.
i have 80 mb free and i cleared the tablet recently,
could you please tell me how to install it, thanks.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by gokuman56 View Post
i have 80 mb free and i cleared the tablet recently,
could you please tell me how to install it, thanks.
Nope, not this time. I remember how things went last time I tried

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post: