Active Topics

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
For us, special airtravellers armed with the Nokia tablets, we want to CONNECT, right?

To accomplish that, you need juice and signal.

Juice, Continental Airline has it, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...tinental+china. Some of the seats come with standard electrical plugs, just request it when booking your seats and they are free. Yes, economy class, dont have to be first/business class. Unfortunately, most ticket agent would NOT know how to do it, I did it myself using internet booking. You can check whether there is plugs under your seat.

How about signal? Just found this, http://www.everyflight.com/. And the pricing info,
==========================================
Georgia | 13-May-2009 22:25:09: Gogo Flight Pass pricing is simple. Inflight Internet on segments of three hours or more is $12.95 for the entire flight, while those less than three hours are $9.95....
Georgia | 13-May-2009 22:25:30: We also have mobile flight passes which are $7.95 per flight.
============================================
Airtrans does not have plugs though
Gogo said AmerAirline also has gogo service.

Sure, for some of "us", money is NOT a factor, you can always get hook thru the phone and get connected paying long distance phone charge.... NOT bunanson though , not yet

Hey, anybody find out any more info on juice and signal for our modern day NIT airtravellers?

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2009-05-14 at 03:08.

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
I'm booked to fly from NY to SFO on June 8th on Virgin America which uses GoGo, i'm gonna try it out and see how it well it works. Virgin America does have plugs in the seats and is also going to introduce ethernet ports soon. They also happened to be the cheapest ($99 each way, so i can afford the $12.95 internet)

The Following User Says Thank You to overfloat For This Useful Post:
I am more into transatlantic or transpacific flight of over 16 some hrs. I used to go with all my battery gadgets.... not anymore, Continental for sure :-) just plug it in.

Hey, please post how the experience, in particular, how does it work with our wonderful NIT. And how much actual surf time when purchased the mobile per flight, $7.99? why are you buying the $12.99? I guess you plan to use a notebook? Also, I found out Boingomobile is also very useful, $7.99 for a month in many airports.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2009-05-14 at 03:20.

On an interesting side-note, Iceland Air has USB plugs in every seat so you could plug in a usb gamepad to play games, i couldn't charge anything off it though

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
I am more into transatlantic or transpacific flight of over 16 some hrs. I used to go with all my battery gadgets.... not anymore, Continental for sure :-) just plug it in.

bun
I'm not sure how the internet works... does it have coverage outside the Continental US?

Originally Posted by overfloat View Post
I'm not sure how the internet works... does it have coverage outside the Continental US?
I dont know. Gogo advertises airtran, but also mention AA, and AA does fly to Europe and Asia, not quite sure how does it work, but this is a start.... and in the right directions for us internetizens

bun

On an interesting side-note, Iceland Air has USB plugs in every seat so you could plug in a usb gamepad to play games, i couldn't charge anything off it though
Not even charging a cellphone? Hey, anybody knows how to hack USB ports?

bun

unfortunately it looks like GoGo only covers the US http://www.gogoinflight.com/jahia/Ja...go/coveragemap

as it uses some form of cellular network, its unlikely we'll see global coverage until they start using wide-spread satellite internet.

I didn't see the mobile package - when i originally saw it i just thought 'oh that's so you can use your cell phone inflight' but then i thought... wait... how would they control that.... soo, if it looks like i can use the mobile package on the n800, then i'll just get that

EDIT: of course, they could let you roam to their network, but how would you pay the 7.95 and at what point would you get billed....anyway, thats OT

Last edited by overfloat; 2009-05-14 at 03:32.

...of course, they could let you roam to their network, but how would you pay the 7.95 and at what point would you get billed....anyway, thats OT
I think the mobile is a category, like a pass for cellphones. Nonmobiles will include laptops/notebooks. At least that is how it work for Boingomobile, they consider the Nit as cellphones and it is $7.95 per month (US or global), whereas if it is laptops or notebooks, that would be $9.95 per month in US or $59 per month global, quite a big difference.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2009-05-14 at 03:48.

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Well, these all the supported mobiles, http://www.gogoinflight.com/jahia/Ja...n/deviceMatrix, Blackberry, iphony and even win mobile, and N95, not N8x0 Where are our maemo council? Now it is time for you guys flex your true muscle and get in touch with gogo...........

bun

Tags
air travel, get connected