Active Topics

Poll: Should "thanks" be available in all threads?
Poll Options
Should "thanks" be available in all threads?

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
I understand that the thanks are meant to determine some amount of karma.

Seriously though, sometimes its light hearted humor, or some other technology, or even compassion for a lost friend. Why should we not be able to thank people for contributing whether directly maemo related or not. So many times I want to hit thanks in off-topic threads, I often just quote and type thanks. Like Quim's http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=28877 thread.

So I am posting another poll, you know how I love them.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Last edited by penguinbait; 2009-05-10 at 06:30.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Yes it should. When someone helps you, you thank them. It should not matter how they helped. IMO of course.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Yes in linux world no in other worlds

T3 - IT 810
Confidence is hard to gain easy to loose impossible to regain, Pee

Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
First off... shouldn't this be in the maemo.org forum?

I say no. The goal of thanks is really to determine who is a helpful contributer to the community and who isn't. Having thanks available in the Off Topic forum would undermine this purpose. Karma whores would run rampant :P

Wait. Did I just agree with GeneralAntilles? Crap.

The Following User Says Thank You to TrueJournals For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
This is a really terrible idea. Aside from giving people karma for really bad reasons (political discussions, spammy off-topic stuff, etc.), it's just going to lead to a lot more unpleasantness. Some of the threads in Off Topic are bad enough, but would be much worse if you involved additional people through Thanks! that would otherwise not have commented.

I know you have a big think for polls and such, penguinbait, but Thanks! in Off Topic sounds like a really good way to create wide rifts in the community.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by TrueJournals View Post
...Wait. Did I just agree with GeneralAntilles? Crap.
Are we being too harsh on the GA? Honestly, I have NOT encountered any offense/irritating/rough to search sort of thing (of course, from my own standard) postings from GA for a long time. I think some of the old timers here still remember the old razar sharp toned GA. For me, I just see that he,
1) tones down and mellow alot nowadays,
2) works very hard behind the scene, maemo.org council type of things,
3) works very hard in helping to make a smooth transition of the maemo talk thingy, (not to my likeness, but this is not the subject)

...AND nobody seems to notice/acknowlegde that! I know, it is fun to pick on GA (me too, sometimes, he is such a celeb here) lets NOT overdo and drive GA into the other directions.

PB: sorry to hijack the thread, just want to stop the rain before it pours.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2009-05-10 at 14:29.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
This is a really terrible idea. Aside from giving people karma for really bad reasons (political discussions, spammy off-topic stuff, etc.), it's just going to lead to a lot more unpleasantness. Some of the threads in Off Topic are bad enough, but would be much worse if you involved additional people through Thanks! that would otherwise not have commented.

I know you have a big think for polls and such, penguinbait, but Thanks! in Off Topic sounds like a really good way to create wide rifts in the community.
I understand your points. I really don't see anything wrong with asking the community how it feels about any topic.

Its when we stop communcating, that communities fall apart.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TrueJournals View Post
First off... shouldn't this be in the maemo.org forum?
I kept going back and forth, perhpas I choose wrong

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
I understand your points. I really don't see anything wrong with asking the community how it feels about any topic.
Discussion is one thing, but polls on everything are another. Polls are asking a different question than you thing they're asking, and they're not a great thing to base decisions on (especially when there are very clear and compelling reasons about why this would be a bad idea).

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Discussion is one thing, but polls on everything are another. Polls are asking a different question than you thing they're asking, and they're not a great thing to base decisions on (especially when there are very clear and compelling reasons about why this would be a bad idea).
GA, I think that's where we differ. I believe that if enough people believe strongly about any topic, its open for discussion. If a poll is put up, it will only help show the will of the community.

As I said before, go look at any thread with a poll, many more people will vote in a poll, then will voice their opinion in a thread, So polls are very important to listen to the community as a whole, not just the vocal ones.

The Following User Says Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:

Tags
forum, off-topic, poll, polls make my eyes burn, question