I have set up new security on my home network. I have a neighbor how I KNOW has broken into my network before for downloading purposes. My dad just bought me a Nokia N810 for my birthday, and I was wondering if there was any software I could install on it to try and see if I could access it. I have been reading something called air-theft or something. *Sorry, bad with names*

To access his computer? Or to check your network? There is a tool called autoscan that will show connected devices to a network.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

No, I already can access it. I am trying to crack my own network. I think the program is called aircrack. Screwed it up the first time I said it.

How do I connect a usb wifi adapter to my n810? It only has a micro-usb port.

Are you referring to checking the security of your wireless connection? Given that you're gonna use your n810, I'd likely say yes. So with that thought in mind, here's something I created that works.

First, put your wireless router into the most secure mode possible. If it allows AES 128 or 256 bit encryption, do it. I think the n810 will support 128bit AES for certain, but 256 I'm not sure on. Someone else could check that. Also, secure it with as many other forms of wireless security as possible. Lastly, turn on any and all logging on the router. If it can log to a remote location, set that up per the instructions.

Once that's done, park a firewall between you and the internet something like this:

Internet -> your network -> firewall -> wireless router

The idea here is, you want the outside of the firewall facing the wireless router. This way, if he connects to it, he can't go anywhere without the "magic" password. You'll want to be sure that if you use remote logging on your wireless router that the router is aware of how to get logs out to it's remote location. One way to achieve this is to limit access by MacID. Since the internal physical interface's MacID can't be sniffed by an attacker, even if they get inside the wireless router, just setup the firewall to allow traffic from the router to the logging server only on the appropriate ports.

Now, you have two options for the firewall setup. One is to use a proxy server for access and authentication. IE, you can get through the firewall, but you have to login first, and unless your thieving neighbor is an uber hacker, they're unlikely to ever get past first base with that setup. If you want to forgo that and really confuse the **** out of your neighbor or any other potential wifi hackers, consider using port knocking on the firewall. It's completely transparent, and unless they know what they're looking at, and actually see you hit the ports when you first connect, they'll never get through.

Another option is that you can roll your own solution on this, but this is just two of mine I picked up from working with network security.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lord Raiden For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
How do I connect a usb wifi adapter to my n810? It only has a micro-usb port.
The n810 has built in wifi. You don't need to add an additional wifi adapter.

I think that for packet injection he may need a usb wifi adapter. I could be wrong but I think unless something has changed with aircrack for maemo we still need a usb adapter for packet injection. If you need a usb adapter you can get a otg-usb cable or get usb host and get this a usb gender changer, or if you are looking for something off the shelf you maybe able to find a usb cable with changeable tips for both sides of the cable. I can't find it now but I remember getting the cable from staples, but since you have an n810 even with the cable you would still need a micro to mini adapter.

My method is internet --> switch --> 2 routers. Each router pulls a public IP. One has wireless enabled, the other doesn't. Then just establish an ssh tunnel or vpn through the unsecured wifi to the other one (which is obviously where you're network is physically plugged into). If you're paranoid you can turn on wpa2/aes on the wifi router.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Lord_Raiden: That was a great article on network security, but I doubt that the OP was really looking for ways to secure his own network. Just sayin'.

Qole: Well, he said he had the connection hijacked by his neighbor before, and was apparently trying to make the network more secure, so I offered one possible solution to that issue.