I installed unzip on my N810, but contrary to what is written at "Internet Tablet School", you cannot unzip from File Manager without also installing Xarchiver.

Does anybody know where I can get Xarchiver? The link at maemo.org is broken (page not found). Poking around the author's web site eventually takes me to this file:
xarchiver-0.5.2.tar.bz2

Can I install this in my N810? If so, how?

Wayne Estes

Last edited by Wayne Estes; 2009-02-25 at 20:35.

It's in extras.

Actually it's much easier. You can install it via app manager from Maemo extras repository.

Two replies suggest that I download Xarchiver from maemo extras repository. I previously tried multiple times to download the maemo extras repository, and I always get a "Failed Catalogs" error. The detail screen says:

http://repository.maemo.org/extras/d...el/Packages.gz
404 Not Found [IP:206.112.100.132 80]

I did find and download Xarchiver from garage.maemo.org. But the Xarchiver installation failed, saying I need 3 other applications: gnutar, unrar, and bzip2. I installed all of them, but I still can't unzip from File Manager.

Wayne Estes

When somebody says that something is in extras, it means that the application is found from application manager

I can manually launch the Xarchiver program and then unzip a .ZIP archive. Xarchiver works great.

But I can't just double click on a .ZIP archive from File Manager. Then Xarchiver only stays open for a fraction of a second. At least I know a way to make it work.

Here's how I got Unzipping to work:
1. Install unzip application (easy to find).
2. Install bzip2, unrar, and gnutar from
https://garage.maemo.org/projects/xarchive/
3. Install Xarchiver from the same site (this must be done last)

Wayne Estes

I am not sure if Dbus-Switchboard is what you need, but it should allow you to associate certain file types with a handler. So once you set it up, and it's a somewhat complicated setup, you should just be able to double click a zip to open it. Here is the thread where you can get dbus-switchboard.

Last edited by D'ohboy; 2009-02-26 at 05:02.