Active Topics

Posts: 84 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ California
Business Week Article
I wonder if this will affect Maemo and Tablet development.

Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
Originally Posted by tabletfan View Post
Business Week Article
I wonder if this will affect Maemo and Tablet development.
I think it doesn't affect Maemo SW in nothing.

They continue hiring people everyday: http://nokia.taleo.net/careersection...ia.state=false
13 positions opened in the last 10 days.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yerga For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
This was decided after Nokia HR "collected" -- legally this time round -- 320 emails titled "Nokia suxx!"

Coincidence?

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
No, this doesn't affect Maemo.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
No, this doesn't affect Maemo.
I don't think the question was whether Maemo would be effected.

You DO have to wonder how this effects the Nokia tablets since I would HAVE to think all R&D would eventually relate to the tablets in some way.

Posts: 84 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ California
Does anybody know if the Tablet is profitable for Nokia? I wonder if Nokia can keep the Tablet line around if this terrible economy continues for the next year or two.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by tabletfan View Post
Does anybody know if the Tablet is profitable for Nokia? I wonder if Nokia can keep the Tablet line around if this terrible economy continues for the next year or two.
It certainly isn't, at least not in terms of corporate logic. Even if they do generate money, a successful phone generates much more profit (carrier deals, simpler hardware, simpler software, longer lifetime, no community to worry about and much larger volume). So, if you're in financial trouble, you would concentrate efforts on phones, not NITs. My guess is that NIT's are too special, too alternative, so even in a turn for the worse they wouldn't get chopped altogether but rather delayed just to keep the NIT brand and community alive, as that's something you cannot rebuild overnight (unlike a 'classic' phone, which just needs hyping).

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
It is a fact that Maemo is growing and has a place in the Nokia strategy.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
It is a fact that Maemo is growing and has a place in the Nokia strategy.
I'm thinkin' what Maemo, the Tablets, and potential users represent (not the traditional cell phone market), might have a pretty large place in Nokia's strategy for the future...

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
iirc, nokia does more then mobile phones...