Active Topics

I need a download manager like Flashget or getright but can't find any. Searhed the forum before posting. Downloaded the Fennec browser but no addons. Any non-command line ones (GUI applet/addon/plugin) available? Need it to accept '?' in the URL too.

BTW Any other browsers that are recommended?

Thanks

Last edited by TheOne; 2009-02-10 at 21:32.

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Venezia
You have a couple of chances: httrack and wget.
The first one comes handy if you want to download an entire web site, the second one is a full featureed download manager (can download sites as well).
they both are command line tools: install them with apt-get.
Reamember that also Microb has its tiny download manager: if you press the close button when downloading, you close the window but the download dooesn't stop.

Pay attention to the urls with the "?": they could be dynamic pages, not that easy to handle...

Thanks Fabbro. I was looking for GUI one to manage my lists too but will give those a shot. I ended up emailing myself the links.

I assume Microb and Fennec (useless but good potential) are the only browsers available now or in the near future.

Posts: 291 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Trier, Germany
Maybe you're thinking about something like this
http://live.gnome.org/GGet

and here with some screenshots:
http://blogs.gnome.org/johans/category/gget/

gget ist written in python so it could be possible to run this on maemo.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
check out tear...

its highly beta right now tho, barely able to download anything at all...

Thanks bongo and tso, I have to install and play with them tonight. Look promising.

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Venezia
i'm sorry i didn't get the point you were searching for a gfx download manager.
well, if you dare you can follow this thread:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=24272
and install a chrooted debian.
it's easier to do than to explain.
once the chrooted enviroment is ready (and after you have run "apt-get update", read carefully the faq) you'll have a whole new world of software, and choosing your gfx dwld mngr will be only a matter of personal tastes (i think d4x is a good one).
regards

Thanks fabbro. That looks the biz and have to check out that DL manager too. Got the N800 recently and I have to free up some memory though as running out due to installing too many apps. I have to search the forum now on how to boot and/or double boot from the big SD card.

These things could do with a lot more apps and shells/skins. Remember the unworthy Apple Newtons in the early 90's? I spend half my time searching the streamtuner's shoutcast for cool music/talk radios, that is the best but could do with a shell too. Like the normal radio on N800 too as well as the light weight and the 2 SD card slots. For the odd typing a rollout (yoga mat style) flexible mini keyboard would be nice but the mini flexible KBs though cheap/light are still too big and the smaller ones are just numeric. Big business potential for the Chinese manufacturers as a true mini flexible KB will sell like hot cakes to the iPhone clan alone. I need to find the blow up one I saw last year.

Thanks again and to all those who contributed.

Last edited by TheOne; 2009-02-13 at 18:23.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
there is a 20+ MB video floating around in the video dir of the tablet, and also a lot of pdf manuals in different languages.

Thanks tso, already binned them. Chasing up double-boot now.