Follow up, watch the video too

http://www.wkowtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=9682258

LOL

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
What a dumbass.

http://addins.wkowtv.com/blogs/behindthenews/

LOL the news guy posted a blog about it

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
"The young woman also contacted 27 News to report she's being harassed on her Facebook account by Ubuntu users."

A) Ubuntu fanboys suck. They tend to be mindless monsters with no sense of common sense.
B) It's already been determined that she's just using this as some dumb excuse to drop out of college.
C) The woman is a ditz.
D) Dell sucks. Linux Rocks.
E) I rest my case.

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
I love this the article got 1000 times more hits then there main page.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

I think that says more about Dell owners than Ubuntu.

Ya know... I totally understand how that happened - and it is quite ridiculous that she could have solved all her problems with a 2 second google search (friends house, library, whatever).. but I still do feel sorry for the poor girl.

The guys that harassed her and the news that badly aren't doing Linux or Ubuntu any favors. It just feeds the stereotype that all Linux users are elitist a**holes that rule through intimidation and arrogance.

Forums like iTT wouldn't exist if that were true.. but that's the message that gets sent. Yes, the news story was frustrating because the tone of it was done in such a way as to make it sound that the OS couldn't do what she asked.. so the story could have used a re-write to point out that all this was, in fact, a user error. (both while ordering the PC, and while operating it)... but it doesn't make her evil, stupid, unworthy of a college degree.. and certainly not the crap she got on facebook.

I had to laugh at the guys blog.. he actually was quite right most of the time. I know I'm no saint.. I can be a jerk sometimes, and I've pulled the "Did you search?" card a couple times... but tracking people down and harassing them, name-calling, etc.. is just unnecessary. An email to the reporters merely pointing their flaws; namely: Ubuntu can very easily edit/create/modify Word documents, and the CD to connect to the internet was unnecessary... I can understand. An email screaming they are all idiots unworthy of living is just nonsense and unhelpful to both them, and the community they are so passionate about.

I love my Linux... I despise and hate everything Microsoft... but that doesn't mean I need to flaunt superiority to everyone I meet.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
A) Ubuntu fanboys suck. They tend to be mindless monsters with no sense of common sense.
B) It's already been determined that she's just using this as some dumb excuse to drop out of college.
C) The woman is a ditz.
D) Dell sucks. Linux Rocks.
E) I rest my case.
I'm a proponent of Ubuntu, not because I think it's the only or even the best thing out there, but because it has done an excellent job compared to most distros of going mainstream and creating a product that can stand side by side with windows and mac os when it comes to usability. Sure, plenty of other distros are very close and some are undoubtedly better, but few are as well supported.

Regardless, the problem here isn't Ubuntu, Ubuntu fanboys, or Dell, it's the user.

Last edited by neatojones; 2009-01-16 at 03:15.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
I just loved how they said Ubuntu like it was a sinful word. And they said it looks like Windows. Gnome does not look like windows...

Im pretty sure if she called Verizon and said she used Ubuntu, they would have helped her. I am betting that:

A) She tried to use WiFi without a wireless router. (lots of people do this)
B) Bought the laptop with Ubuntu because it was cheaper.
C) Wanted to generate media attention.

My grandmother, who is ok with computers, could use Ubuntu without really knowing the difference. She just clicked the fox.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.