Active Topics

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Here's a tip for anyone who bought the Plantronics Pulsar 590a or 590e bluetooth headphones and found subsequently that the hideously bright blue pulsating LED made them look like Invaders From Outer Space:

A judicious but liberal application of Tippex (or "corrector fluid" for the brand-impaired) hides the light from the Ring of Dork quite effectively. I like to leave a few mms uncovered, just so's people can see that I'm actually using space-age headphones WITH NO WIRES!, but to each her or his own. Just take care: If you're too enthousiastic with the Tippex (or etc...) the volume and track change buttons might get stuck. It's not a very firm stickiness, but still annoying.

And no, Plantronics have confirmed that there's no hack to turn the light off (other than physical surgery, that is). Also, they have no sense of cool whatsoever, because they admit no shame over this design choice. They are rather good phones though, soundwise.

(Oh, almost forgot: The Pandoras, unlike the Nokia tablets, will have a complete bluetooth profile, so I won't need the saucer adapter for me Panda)

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Of course if you have any Pandoras before the next Nokia tablets that is.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
That's okay; I don't have a Nokia tablet now anway...

How's the sound, really ?...

(Oh, almost forgot: The Pandoras, unlike the Nokia tablets, will have a complete bluetooth profile, so I won't need the saucer adapter for me Panda)
What's this saucer adaptor? Aren't these a2dp headphones which therefore work with the n8x0/770

Originally Posted by fpp View Post
How's the sound, really ?...
Very nice. Good bass and a very "creamy" (at least, that's how I call it) sound. There's little if no difference between BT and wired sound quality (the Pulsar comes with a 3.5 mm adapter to allow "wired" use).

Now, I'm by no means an audiophile (which should be a given, seeing as how I bought bluetooth headphones), so my opinion isn't worth all that much, but I like the phones.

Originally Posted by lardman View Post
What's this saucer adaptor? Aren't these a2dp headphones which therefore work with the n8x0/770
Neither my 770 nor my N800 (when I still had them/were still working) would even see the headphones, let alone pair with them. It's possible they can be used for communication, but I've never used any of my tablets for that purpose, not after some initial and very disappointing trials. I'm also pretty sure that none of Nokia's tablets support the A2DP set for media playback, at least not without serious non-Nokia hacking.

The saucer plugs into any 3.5 mm audio out port and will transmit to the headphones. Not ideal, but better than dangling wires. I hate dangling wires.

I have to correct myself. Today I finally got my N800 back from Nokia (actually, it's not mine; they sent me a brand-spankin' new unit -- probably because they were ashamed of the previous snafu)and after flashing it with the latest DIABLO_5.2008.43-7 firmware, my Pantronics is recognized as a bluetooth device. It works without the adapter.

However, for some reason the sound without the adapter is a lot less "sharp" than with. Still, it's nice to have it working at all...

Posts: 69 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Colorado, USA
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
I have to correct myself. Today I finally got my N800 back from Nokia (actually, it's not mine; they sent me a brand-spankin' new unit -- probably because they were ashamed of the previous snafu)and after flashing it with the latest DIABLO_5.2008.43-7 firmware, my Pantronics is recognized as a bluetooth device. It works without the adapter.

However, for some reason the sound without the adapter is a lot less "sharp" than with. Still, it's nice to have it working at all...
I would expect N800 to use bluetooth HSP with this headset which means sound quality is going to be lot more inferior to what you would get with A2DP.

Originally Posted by khalid View Post
I would expect N800 to use bluetooth HSP with this headset which means sound quality is going to be lot more inferior to what you would get with A2DP.
Yep. I just checked and it's indeed HSP.

Oh well, as I said: It's still better than no sound at all. But this is the recurring theme in the Nokia tablets: We find out something rather essential is missing from it; we complain; for a considerable amount of time nothing happens; then we get a half-baked solution and we're happy to have something at least.

Now let me go check what snooping software Nokia hid in my new tablet...