Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
What the heck?! No 104" quad-hd screen?! I'm soooooo disappointed!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wazd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
I am not really disappointed with the 5mpx. It was really a personal disappointment. Because i thought i would replace both my n958gb and n810 for the n900. I assumed by that time nokia would put in a better camera than that is on the n958gb. But i can take the 5mpx also.

My real disappointment was with the ram..... i just could not understand why nokia would give us the same ram which they actually gave almost 3 years ago.
But now i understand that it is not an issue.

So i am perfectly happy. Thanks for the fm transmitter and the accelerometer. I hope the fm transmitter is better than the one in n78.

My last and final question is the touch screen... is it capacitative or resistive?

Thanks

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
At first, I wanted a higher-resolution screen. 800x480 seems so small.

I've since realized that we're pretty much at the highest resolution we're going to get without making the device unwieldy. If the face of the device was all screen with no bezel (and then where would the web camera go?), then perhaps we could get a bit higher numbers in the HxV department...

I've also realized that what I want the bigger screen for is not what Nokia is building the device to do; I want a hand-held laptop, and that's just a contradiction in terms for most people. I want to be able to run desktop applications on this device, and the 480V resolution is often frustratingly slender for desktop apps like word processors or spreadsheets. But I'm a slender minority here; I'm betting that Nokia's concentrating their limited man-hours on making a device that does hand-held, carry-around tasks well.

My best hope for my niche "handheld laptop" fetish is for some sort of video out.

The other thing that concerns me is the API break. I don't understand why that's happening. Can't they incorporate the legacy API and extend it with new features? Anyway, not much I can do in any case.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by qole View Post
The other thing that concerns me is the API break. I don't understand why that's happening. Can't they incorporate the legacy API and extend it with new features? Anyway, not much I can do in any case.
API breaks happen for a lot of reasons, and "API break" can actually mean a lot of different things. Let's wait until the API's are actually frozen and we have some concrete info on what'll be breaking, where it'll be breaking and why before we pass judgement.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
I doubt it will be capacitive TS because that would mean a completely finger driven interface. As the N97 and 5800 have shown Nokia has interest in stylii for the asian language markets.

Originally Posted by mobiledivide View Post
I doubt it will be capacitive TS because that would mean a completely finger driven interface. As the N97 and 5800 have shown Nokia has interest in stylii for the asian language markets.
It's resistive (this point has been mentioned a couple times before from other Nokia personnel). Multitouch is a ways away. Which is just as well, because capacitive isn't going to be much fun at 225dpi.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Clearly some of these specs may be tweaked. I for one am glad to see that Nokia is paying attention to product cost. Do we really want to see the next tablet with an $800 or greater price tag.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

any idea if the rx-51 will have the powerVR drivers so we can have 3d stuff this time?

Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
any idea if the rx-51 will have the powerVR drivers so we can have 3d stuff this time?
Yes, this was announced at the Summit months ago. . . .

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by qole View Post
The other thing that concerns me is the API break. I don't understand why that's happening. Can't they incorporate the legacy API and extend it with new features?
Maemo is not Windows. And one of the reasons why Windows got so damn fat was because it ships legacy API to maintain backwards-compatibility all the way down to Windows 95 or even older.
Anyway, since most of the API is opensource and not under control of Nokia, they can't do much about breakage. To avoid API break you'd have to stick with old libraries. Nobody really wants that.
Opensource applications can be recompiled for the new API, after all. The difficulty is with closed-source stuff where the producer lost interest in maintaining.

Tags
fremantle, iphone killer, n900, rover, rx-51