Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Yeah, as frustrated and disappointed as I am by Nokia's "Fixed in Fremantle" and "not our problem; we're counting on the community" methods, the community isn't the problem, so I'm going to hang out around here for a while longer.

I spent long years being frustrated by the total lack of a handheld device that I found more than mildly interesting. My N800 continues to bring me much joy (even though Modest still crashes my hildon-desktop when it checks for mail); I can wait a few more months and see what the RX-51 looks like. But I'm going to have fun speculating about it now. And despite what everyone keeps saying about leaving Nokia for some other device, I am still waiting to see something that I would consider to be a valid contender. I don't want a smartphone, I don't want an $800 MID, I don't want "just" a PMP, I don't want "just" a gaming toy, and I don't want a closed, proprietary OS. What does that leave me? Not much, if anything at all.

Yes, like so many others here, I'm worried, too. I'm already preparing myself for some disappointments; I probably won't be able to afford a(n) HSPA plan here in Canada, so I'll be forced to use it on Wi-Fi only. But as long as the new Maemo OS can handle that (I'm worried that it won't be able to), I'll be OK. I'm worried that the screen size will be smaller than my tablet. I'm worried that it will continue down the N810's path, with fewer options for removable storage (please, not micro-SD!) and USB connectivity (difficult-to-find port size). I'm worried that it will be $700, and that it will be very difficult to find in Canada. I'm worried that it will be difficult to turn down or turn off the glitzy easy-for-new-users interface, and I'm worried that desktop applications may be even harder to run on the new device than on the current ones. (EDIT: although I'm not so worried now after Quim's soothing words)

I keep telling myself that I'm just setting my hopes on the speedy new processor and high quality camera.

Of course, I'm more than willing to have my socks blown off by the new device.

Last edited by qole; 2009-01-13 at 22:56.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by fragos View Post
If you examine cell phones as developed vs how the carriers limit the capabilities you will greatly appreciate the wisdom of Nokia to build a truely open, ergo non-carrier product, like the Internet Tablet. Android represents a move toward openess because of Google but it's still a product to be sold by the carriers that are being dragged kicking and screeming into open devices. The Internet Tablet despite a few bits of closed drivers is from an application standpoint totally open because the carriers aren't envolved. Android has all the appearance of an open system but we'll have to see how it ends up when carried by more than T-Mobile. Don't forget that true openess means not controlling the sources of content. Carriers want their subscribers to buy music, ringtones and other media from them and no one else. Before broadband cellular Verizon subscribers could tether their laptops and PDAs at 14.4 dialup access to data with voice minutes. This is acceptable performance for text applications like email. Their network still supports this but Verizon insists that smartphones pay large monthly fees for broadband data plans. In a truely open network this wouldn't happen. To date the Internet Tablet has avoided this closed operation with WiFi while still permitting those that required full time anywhere access to use the cellular networks. WiFi is a scary thing for cellular carriers because they loose control of your content and who you pay how much for your bandwidth. I realize many want built in cellular modems but I have very mixed emotions about the potential of giving control of my network access to cellular carriers with a history of enfocing closed networks.
I agree with what you say, and a small part of my support for the NIT was because it is not dependent on the cellular carriers. But you have to add into the equation that, as Roger said, Android is now being licensed so that it can be used on devices manufactured by others. Maemo is not being licensed by Nokia (AFAIK) and so you are stuck with the Nokia device with Maemo.

(this is not to say that the openness in Maemo is not awfully important and a very big plus, because it lets you modify the SW in so many ways. And for some people that it crucial. But you can't change the HW/form factor and for other people that is important.)

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
hee hee, daperl is serializing his novella.

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
hee hee, daperl is serializing his novella.
I can't wait 'til he's done and I can copy and paste it into a text file to be read at my leisure in Liqbase

N800 (retired...soon to eBay)
Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

The Following User Says Thank You to Snoshrk For This Useful Post:
Now dats de speerit, quole boy, dats de speerit... juss go eezy on de green leequid, eh ?

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Originally Posted by Snoshrk View Post
I can't wait 'til he's done and I can copy and paste it into a text file to be read at my leisure in Liqbase
heh, by the time hes done we might be able to handle other formats

The Following User Says Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Brave New Hello World

So, I had just figured out that I needed to write some code, but I knew very little about the tablet environment from a developer's perspective. No matter. Nokia supplied a tutorial, an SDK and a "hello world" (HW) package. There was a chance that this could be quick and painless.

At first glance, the HW code seemed close to unabridged for interacting with the hildon window manager. For a proof-of-concept, I decided to create a statusbar applet to control my receivers volume, and I wanted it to have the same look-and-feel of Nokia's sound applet.

I twitched my nose twice and *poof*, there was my volume control applet! And It was working like a charm. It didn't look exactly like Nokia's sound applet... Hey wait. Why didn't it look like Nokia's sound applet? It looked more like a dialog box... It was a dialog box! But the statusbar applets all looked like popup menus. Something wasn't right here; I was gonna need some help...

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
I actually got ahold of leaked Nokia documents and the yet to be released updated SDK and it turns out the next version will have a 10MPx camera with xray like power which can enable the user to see through people's clothes and into other rooms depending on the zoom level. Yeah, it's crazy... I was hoping for a least a hidden laser system for zapping annoying people with, but Nokia really seems to be on their game with the technology this time.

Updated: Oh, I just noticed the updated SDK actually included the name of the device, it turns out they scrapped the numbers for the naming convention and have gonne with a simple NXXX instead of N900.

Last edited by neatojones; 2009-01-14 at 00:19.

The Following User Says Thank You to neatojones For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
II probably won't be able to afford a(n) HSPA plan here in Canada, so I'll be forced to use it on Wi-Fi only. But as long as the new Maemo OS can handle that (I'm worried that it won't be able to), I'll be OK.
You're what? Do you honestly think Nokia's so stupid as to make HSPA the only usable way to connect? It's not going to be significantly different from the WiMAX setup. Just another connection option you can use when you need to. . . .

I'm worried that the screen size will be smaller than my tablet.
This is one we can't really be sure of, but the Sony part number is there, just figure out what it's specs are. Either way, this is another move I'm certain Nokia's not gonna be making.

I'm worried that it will continue down the N810's path, with fewer options for removable storage (please, not micro-SD!)
Well, MiniSD is dead. So you're left with SD and MicroSD, I'm almost certain it wont be fullsize. Still, I think you can bank on at least 16GB (my money's on 32GB) of internal storage, so it wont be nearly as bad a situation as the N810 (MyDocs has been moved to the internal MMC, by the way).

and USB connectivity (difficult-to-find port size).
MicroUSB is the future. It's smaller and more durable than MiniUSB, and more and more products are using it every month. Give it a year and there'll be MicroUSB cables in your grocery store. Besides, that's why we have the internet and places like Amazon, to make finding hard-to-find stuff easy.

I'm worried that it will be $700, and that it will be very difficult to find in Canada.
Why worry about that? Discount codes, baby!

I'm worried that it will be difficult to turn down or turn off the glitzy easy-for-new-users interface
We'll see what happens, but Diablo's UI has already been ported to Fremantle, so you can always fallback to that.

and I'm worried that desktop applications may be even harder to run on the new device than on the current ones.
Mind elaborating on why? It seems to me that with much more capable hardware, they should only be easier to run.

Personally, I think you will.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
You're what? Do you honestly think Nokia's so stupid as to make HSPA the only usable way to connect? It's not going to be significantly different from the WiMAX setup. Just another connection option you can use when you need to. . . .
The point, I think, and one I'm mildly concerned about, is not about connection type, but about poor offline function. The assumption of ubiquitous connectivity can lead to sloppiness, such as bailing on lack of connection, rather than falling back on cache or local resources.

Why worry about that? Discount codes, baby!
Why, indeed. Might ask ZeroJay about how Canada+Discount codes=Hilarity.

Mind elaborating on why? It seems to me that with much more capable hardware, they should only be easier to run.
No-hardware-keys FUD? (Which does concern me deeply, just not for the RX-51, or probably any Fremantle-era device.)

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:

Tags
fremantle, iphone killer, n900, rover, rx-51