Active Topics

Hi guys, I have problem when watching movies, especially using Mplayer and Canola. The sound is very soft, poorly to heard on train. Is there any way that I can increase the sound? Either by converting /editing the movies on PC or using plugins to boost the sound?

I'm using N800 diablo, Mplayer, file movies are *.avi just as on PC, and listening by ordinary iPod earphones. Mentioned that I can listen music finely but watching movies sucks.

Any tips to increase watching movies experience, put here also. Thanks guys !

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Have you tried other earphones. Some are really limited in volume. I don't know the iPod earphones but I haven't heard good things about them. The earphones that originally came with the N800 or N810 are _very_ limited in volume, for instance.

I kind of went extreme and use my n810 with a pair of Ultimate Ears superfi 5 pro's which are low impedence ( easy to drive ) and block outside noise. That's been the secret to any volume deficient movies or music I've played on the Nokia. I also have used it with a pair of sennheiser cx-300's which are cheap, also block out the sound well and are easy to drive. Bottom line; change your earphones to something that drowns out sound and you'll solve your problem.

Another suggestion is to boost volume of the music I listen to (mp3 gain) and also boost the sound of the movies/TV recordings (allok video to ipod converter ). Works great on the Nokia and allows you to tweak the file size and also plays great in mplayer or nokia's own media player. The bonus is allowing you to also increase the volume of a file which will help your sound problem.

Last edited by callanish; 2008-12-04 at 08:52.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
You can also use a pocket amp, though mileage may vary. Or recode you movie with louder sound...

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thesandlord For This Useful Post:
Posts: 42 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Nottingham
We assume you've done the obvious of putting system volume on max (from the icon in the home screen system-tray?), and in mplayer used the hardware buttons to increase volume? (on the n800 this button is marked +).

Thanks for all!
@callanish : I'm going to try the allok video to ipod converter soon!
@pycage : It doesn't matter with ipod earphones, since I still can listen music well with them, just when it comes to movies, then there are problems.

You guys know that the resolution of N8xx is 800x480. So my main purpose is that playing the original *.avi file without any converting with Mplayer, and it has been working well (except the sound is very soft, and when using SD card class 2 or 4, there may be some lags). Finally I guess I gotta convert to boost the volume.

Anyway, still welcome any recommendation!

If you're using mplayer, you can do some softvolume tweaks in the .mplayer/config file. It's covered in the wiki, but you only need the latter portion (steps related to mplayer).

Also, for high-resolution video (more than perhaps 500-600 pixels wide), it can be beneficial to run with reduced decoding quality via lavdopts, and I use framedrop on all resolutions. (It only drops frames when it gets behind, and I'd rather have frames skipped in that case than have the whole thing skip and stutter.

BTW, I suspect your skipping is not due to the speed of the SD cards alone, but to occasional processor overloads. Typical data rates are less than 1 MB/s, so a Class 2 should be able to keep up.

My .mplayer/config currently:
Code:
# Write your default config options here!
framedrop=1
lavdopts=fast=1:lowres=1,561:skiploopfilter=nonkey
vo=omapfb:jitscale=1
Now I'm unsure that the last line, and particularly the jitscale=1, actually matters, since in the normal case the JIT scaler is doing a 1:1 scaling w/ colorspace conversion, and I expect in this case it will be the same as (default, higher-quality, slower) algorithm 2. But it makes me feel good.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Hi Benson, can you give me more guides so that I can finish this task? Actually I'm still a very newbie here so I don't know how to do root access, as well as how to open the file. Thanks.

You don't need root access. "/home/user/.mplayer/config" is the file in question, since it's under "/home/user", you don't need root. And it's just a simple text file, use any text editor.

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
Originally Posted by anhzxcv View Post
Hi Benson, can you give me more guides so that I can finish this task? Actually I'm still a very newbie here so I don't know how to do root access, as well as how to open the file. Thanks.
One easy way. Download the file manager emelfm2. Find your way to the file (you can enter the path at the top and hit return). Highlight the config file, and hit the button in the middle of emelfm2 that looks like a page. That will bring up a text editor. DO NOT USE THE NOTES app that comes default on the n8x0.