Active Topics

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
I'm not sure if anyone else caught this or not...

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/1...es-on-display/

Note that the OS for 3 of the models are listed as either 5.0 or 5.0.1 and the specs are very similar to what we would expect in the successors to the IT. Also, it appears to be a "family" of devices as was eluded to around the time of Maemo summit.

Specs could have changed by now, but this is interesting eitherway. It looks like we'll have some serious ROM to play with for putting on a really decent OS next time around.

The Following User Says Thank You to neatojones For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
meh, note that the 5800 xpressmusic is given the code number rm-356, and the os version number 5.0.

http://www.newmobile.com/Nokia-5800-XpressMusic/

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
I noticed that. But, some of the stats for other devices listed are very similar to what I would expect. It's also possible that this was an old plan which called for the 5800 to use Maemo 5.

Some of the stats for other devices are what I would expect:
TV out, 8GB ROM, 3.5 in Wide Screen, touch screen (some models with tactile feedback, others pressure sensitive), FM transmit and reciever, aGPS, 5 to 8MP camera, etc.

I did notice that the OS for the 5800 is listed as "Series 60 5th edition Taco 5"

Last edited by neatojones; 2008-11-12 at 18:41.

remember, the 5800 is the supposed nokia iphone-killer.

and the later ones will probably build on that.

also, nokia media centered phones have had things like tv out for quite a while.

all in all, there is a distinct risk that future maemo devices will have to compete with other nokia products...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Nah, there's no device with 5.0 in the middle of the next year with the needed specs

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Originally Posted by tso View Post
all in all, there is a distinct risk that future maemo devices will have to compete with other nokia products...

tso, to me there is no competion if the alternatives are closed.
Nokia could release a phone tomorrow with kickass technology but if it doesn't run linux it won't get a look in.

I like the flexibility, I like being able to choose if I run my device as a laptop or as a shiny piece of touchy goodness.

I have choice.

my tablet is a canvas, I do not like being told what I can and cannot draw on it.

*edit: ok s60 will be opened/is open, but its alien right now *

i guess it depends on ones definition of closed.

for the consumer, as long as it can run third party media and social apps, that the os is linux, symbian or something else entirely will be a lesser issue.

just see the number of people going nuts over the iphone, even tho its even more closed then most symbian or winmob phones when it comes to third party software...

Tempting as this info is, I can't really see a good reason to suppose they're not derivatives of the Tube OS, and Nokia's internet tablets are kept apart from their smartphones.

So we don't know all that much; as these are in line with the assumed N9xx, they either are N9xxs, or are roughly comparable Symbian devices. No evidence of hardware pwnage for either platform (versus the other; clearly they're both up there vs. current HW).

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the end of my rope
Since getting my tablet I haven't been following any non-NIT gadget news. Now that I am in love with the tablets, I have vowed never to possess a device that I cannot connect a bluetooth/external keyboard to and tweak via xterm/cli. So, tell me, will I be able to do this with these new nokia iphone competitors that Krisse said will compete with the tablets? While you're at it, why don't you tell me of any other devices (I assume Pandora is one) where this is/will be possible.

I'm not looking to abandon the NIT. I'm just curious how special the NITs are.

given that no other "phone" aimed os has the history that linux based ones have, i suspect the linux based ones (or similary *nix based ones with appropriate level of openness) will be the only ones that allow much tweaking via a cli.

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post: