Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
I have a problem with my N800 in that when I have it in a trouser pocket it has an annoying tendancy to reboot. Usually when walking to or from the car whilst listening to Canola. when it restarts it seems fine.

On a desk, or in-car, the device is fine and will play certainly for at least 8 hours without a hiccup. Battery level does not seem to play a part, as sometimes when it restarts it has at least half a tank left according to the meter.

I'm wondering if I am losing the SD cards - I have 2 16GB cards in there, but not sure why, and as it just reboots I cannot see.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks

Gaz

I'd try reformating your sd cards. If canola is hitting a corrupted song, that could cause a reboot.

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
You could check whether the back-cover movement unmounts the memory card. I always feel insecure about it.

Otherwise, before reformatting, I would try to fsck them. Sometimes it's all it needs.

HIH

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
I do think that it' got something to do with the back cover. As it only seems to happen if the unit is carried vertically. If I put it in my coat pocket like the last few times then it does not reboot. I know that the internal card dismount trigger is via a small magnet and presumably a miniture reed switch.

I am theorising that carried vertically in a trouser pocket the movement of the tablet is such that it is causing the switch to operate and automatically dismount the card. The magnet is in place and the back cover is fairly firmly clipped in. If remove the cover though normally, I get a warning, but the tablet keeps working so it's very strange.

It could be having a fit if the internal card is suddenly dismounted as the virtual memory is located on there. I'm going to turn of the virtual memory and see if it still does it.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Maybe the battery terminals looses contact to the N800 when walking/moving? You should be able to reproduce this when holding the tablet in hand and trying to simulate the vibration/shake.

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York
This may sound silly but here goes...

Is it possible that your clothing's fabric develops a static electric charge as you walk. This could zap the n800. Another danger (and it is very real) is sitting or standing from a plastic chair can definitely create very high voltages.

If this is what is happening, I recommend that you resolve it before your NiT becomes permanently damaged from ESD.