Active Topics

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Vancouver, BC
Just read the news on engadget that Nokia is laying off some folks in R&D, was wondering if anyone can comment wherever the NIT/Maemo unit is affected.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
I don't think anyone is really allowed to comment on such things at nokia? (my wild guess)

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
I think the press release is pretty clear on which areas this influences (and which it doesn't).
http://www.nokia.com/A4136001?newsid=1266189

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by stangri View Post
Just read the news on engadget that Nokia is laying off some folks in R&D, was wondering if anyone can comment wherever the NIT/Maemo unit is affected.
Link to the article

Hiding behind a press release titled "Nokia continues its change and renews some of its activities," the woodsmen of Espoo are swinging a corporate axe of woe. In total, the mobile phone giant plans to cut something on the order of about 600 jobs in its Sales and Marketing, R&D, and global operations. Nothing compared to the cuts at Motorola but certainly unwelcome news for those affected.

Nokia is actually also hiring, but you don't hear about that in the news because it doesn't sell.

Originally Posted by stangri View Post
Not sure that this is necessarily part of that, as I haven't been stalking Texrat enough to know what part of Nokia he's in, but it seems to fit:
Originally Posted by "Nokia press release
Nokia has today started local employee consultations where required to discuss these plans.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I wouldn't be a bit surprised to learn that the tablet is just the kind of dead wood that corporate would like to get rid of.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Hmm well the news report i read on reuters also spoke about emerging markets. they're just adopting to world economy.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I was impacted, as noted in my other thread.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I wouldn't be a bit surprised to learn that the tablet is just the kind of dead wood that corporate would like to get rid of.
As said repeatedly, the Maemo SW team is growing and for what I see there are no intentions for cut-off's (but yes, global economy can prove this wrong tomorrow and the same could apply to all your jobs).

texrat has a strong emotional link to Maemo but his current role is not linked, being in another unit, function, location and etc.

texrat, I'm really sorry to hear your news today.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
There was a reduction in force today, and I was told by my employer that my services are no longer required.
One possibility is that you are a short term victim of a general rule but will recover (soon?) when finding out the exceptions. At the end Nokia as a whole keeps having a stable workforce, if not growing. You have been promoted in your role, which means that the company thinks you're a good employee. Now macro decisions have affected this, but you keep your chances in the micro moves since Nokia is keeping buildings and operations in the city you currently work.