Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Central Illinois
UPDATE (Oct. 28, 2008): In case you don't want to read thru all the posts, privoxy is now available from the "extras" repository. Also, I have updated the wiki for privoxy giving installation and configuration instructions. Enjoy!

------------------------

Are people interested in a "proper" release of Privoxy? In the past, I built privoxy "by hand" and posted the .deb to the forums. I use privoxy all the time on my desktop machine and my NIT. I recently upgraded to v.3.0.10 and am fairly happy with it. I have figured out the build process for maemo and am wondering how much effort I should put into releasing it into the wild.

IMO to do it "right", I need to apply for a garage project page, put up maemo-specific documentation, and make the program available via "extras". However, if only a handful of people are interested in using privoxy, it would be MUCH easier for me to simply post the .deb here.

Last edited by terrencegf; 2008-10-30 at 15:34.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to terrencegf For This Useful Post:
If you intend to package it for maemo, but not to do any independent development, then a garage project is not necessary.

If you generate the .deb in scratchbox, the use the autobuilder to build your package and then after testing promote it to extras.

If you use another method to generate the package, you can still upload to extras and extras-devel.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Please do make a full "extras" build for it. I use privoxy on my desktop(s), and miss having it on my tablet. It would be a great addition.

Originally Posted by Matan View Post
If you intend to package it for maemo, but not to do any independent development, then a garage project is not necessary.
I realize a garage project is not necessary (since I'm simply tweaking the build process), but it would be nice to have a web page where I could post some instructions for using it on the NIT. Also, I feel that the patches I made should be public so others can view/modify them. (I'm using the dpatch system so it's debian friendly.)

I have no problem with scratchbox / autobuilder. I've done all that for the xword project. I have built the .deb for privoxy in the past, but admittedly I didn't go to the extra effort of putting it in the "extras" repository. I didn't get much feedback that people really wanted it.

Is there another maemo-sponsored method of putting up an instructional web page / patch files?

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Erfurt, Germany
Originally Posted by terrencegf View Post
I didn't get much feedback that people really wanted it.
I also use Privoxy on my desktop and a proper package for the tablets would be really, really useful.

Is there another maemo-sponsored method of putting up an instructional web page / patch files?
Maybe you could use http://wiki.maemo.org for this?

If users were made aware of Privoxy, and it was easily available (and Extras is the easiest way), there would certainly be plenty more interest.

A brief introduction on the ITT front page and followups on some Maemo news sites or blogs would take care of the awareness issue. A brief introductory WIKI entry could be a good starting point for the awareness campaign.

I also use Privoxy on my PCs and in the past used it on my N800 until it hit breakage.

On the tablet it could benefit from a simple GUI (microB addon?) with basic options (like easy on/off toggling of features/restrictions for the current page/domain), but the default settings are largely "fire and forget" for normal browsing.

If you make it, they will come!

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Stockholm, Sweden
I'd be very interested. I recently started using Privoxy on my eee, and it's speeded up surfing quite a bit on that! Being somewhat challenged in the attention-department, I also find it's easier to read stuff without all that flashing tat on my screen.

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
I have had privoxy running on my desktop since i heard about Tor. i actully run two instances of privoxy on my box.

the first instance is a cache_peer to squid, and the second forwards traffic to tor.

privoxy has been packaged for the NIT's and if you connect to a lot of foreign AP's then it does a good thing in getting rid of unwanted banners and what have you. i only question the overhead on the device.

if you are not using the browser, why should it be running in the background? being that privoxy also does add a latent delay, it does impact the usability of the browser because of the horsepower required to run privoxy and everything one might have going on, on the NIT.

with OMAP 3430 being put into a newer NIT, it may be less of a drag on the system. we will have to see. <off_topic> now if i could get amarok... </off_topic>
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

Privoxy should definitely be available from a repository. I've used it since forever. In fact I thought I got it from a repo originally.. maybe it's one of those that are currently offline. Possibly an older version though, but it does the job.

Originally Posted by Chelli View Post
Maybe you could use http://wiki.maemo.org for this?
The wiki is a good idea. In fact, there is already a wiki page for Privoxy. Unfortunately, uploads are diabled on the wiki so I can't put nice screen captures for the HOWTO. I suppose that's not a tragedy, but I can already hear people complaining "it doesn't work" because they didn't want to read textual instructions. As the saying goes, "a picture is worth a thousand words".

Anyway, I'll consider the wiki. Thanks!