Active Topics

Notices

Maemo Mapper v2.5 has been released to the wild. And in this case, I do mean wild - the newest version of Maemo Mapper is a volatile experiment in layered maps. Thanks to Shmuma's patch, you can now assign layers to each repository and turn each layer on/off.

I want to emphasize that the layering code is somewhat unstable. When using layers, you may experience crashes or confusing behavior. When using layers, you will definitely experience slow-downs, especially with multiple layers enabled - the image combination math is not terribly fast. Please let me know if you experience any repeatable bugs.

If you don't use layers, then you should experience no significant differences in Maemo Mapper v2.5. There is little-to-no overhead for you, so there's no reason not to upgrade to v2.5 - there are a couple of bugfixes from which you can benefit.

Again, thanks to Shmuma for getting this started. I hope we can refine it to be a bit more user-friendly in the future, but I wanted to get this out in the public so that power-users could take advantage of it without needing Shmuma's patch.

P.S. This release also fixes the OS2008 issues that plagued v2.4.2. You should not have problems installing or updating to v2.5.

The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to gnuite For This Useful Post:
The complete list of compatible repositories can always be found in the Maemo Mapper Repositories thread, and now there's a new subsection for layered tiles, which I shall reproduce here for convenience:

Layers
These repositories contain transparency and are thus ideal for use as layers on top of the above repositories.

Google Traffic
http://mt.google.com/mapstt?zoom=%0d&x=%d&y=%d

Google Labels
http://mt.google.com/mt?v=w2t.999&x=%d&y=%d&zoom=%d
(use with Google Satellite or Google Terrain for labels for cities, roads, etc., i.e. "Hybrid" maps.)

U.S. Weather Overlay (WMS)
http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/cgi...ANSPARENT=TRUE

Last edited by gnuite; 2008-10-12 at 20:48.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gnuite For This Useful Post:
By the way: the old Repository "Download..." button has been moved to a menu item (in the Maps menu). Additionally, each of the repositories that it downloads will have a single layer in it, for you to try out.

I want to emphasize that layers are disabled by default, even when you download the repositories (which include layers). Layers are too CPU-intensive and network-intensive to default to ON at the moment.

Awesome! I kept thinking about installing shmuma's version, but never got to it.

Posts: 151 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Sep 2006 @ Mexico City, Mexico
Gnuite:

Thanks for your great work ! We look forward to enjoy v2.5 as much as previous versions.

Just a brief question on the "sample repositories" as it is named now on v2.5:

Are the download servers for those repositories down? Several people, including me, of course, have been unable to download the initial sample repositories, since 2.4.1 and 2.4.2. Curiously enough, the same thing happens with v2.5, Mapper just hangs in there and after a while it reports that repositories may be possibly "temporarily down".

Thanks in advance for any comment, and again, thanks for your time and this great software.

Thanks for the new toy John... I'm still wondering how on Earth I managed to not bump heads with you in Berlin ! :-)

To get the best performance in "Google Hybrid", what are the recommended Layer settings?

Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
By the way, if the patch allows arbitrary repositories to be used as layers (except maybe WMS-based ones), then it should also allow people to use the Google version of Virtual Earth's "Hybrid" maps. The reason Google's never worked was because they use multiple layers for their hybrid maps.

To get Google's "road overlay" (aka "labels") layer (which should be drawn on top of Google's satellite layer) would use a repository URL format like this:

http://mt.google.com/mt?v=w2t.999&x=%d&y=%d&zoom=%d

Once the patch is incorporated, I'll add this URL format to the Maemo Mapper Repositories thread.

I've just installed and am getting some bad map tiles. I'm in Macau (China) at the moment and some of the google map tiles are just plain wrong, it's almost like they have been downloaded in the wrong order or are from different zooms.

Could this be to do with layers?

Thanks

Steve

Upgraded successfully to v2.5. No longer able to get voice announcements of driving directions. Did something break in the interface to flite?

BTW, does the new Maemo Mapper use SQLite yet? I ask, because I'm really looking forward to the switch so that we can get a map downloader to use on our regular PC's to speed build databases for later use on the tablet.

Tags
layers, maemo mapper