Active Topics

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York, US
Hi,

Does anybody know when Google will start supporting SyncML as a way to connect to their contacts/calendar apps ?

I think currently there is a google-calendar plugin for the opensync, but nothing for the contacts.

Thanks,
Daniel

Erminig syncs the calendar, and there is supposed to be contact syncing support in a future release (I'm waiting eagerly for this myself).

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York, US
Erminig is only for GPE if I'm not mistaking. I'm looking for a more general solution.
For the Google contacts I would like them to be synchronized w/ the builtin Contacts app.
(For the Google calendar the mCalendar currently provides both a GUI and a solution for synchronizing.)

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 641 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Switzerland
I can confirm that contact sync is on its way...work-related issues kept me off the Erminig project for a few weeks, but now it seems that I will finally be able to restart working properly on this!

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 641 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by dnastase View Post
Erminig is only for GPE if I'm not mistaking.
Yes, that's correct! Erminig will sync only GPE databases...

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
There's something out there called "GooSync", which is a for-pay service, that allows you to sync calendar, tasks, and contacts to/from Google via SyncML.

http://www.goosync.com/

If you just want/need 1 device and 1 calendar, it'll do it for free, though (no contacts). And it's set up around doing phones, not random software clients (though, they do have a means of doing generic SyncML client instructions, so you might be able to fool them).

I just signed up for a short subscription, so I can sync my phone (Nokia E61i).

I hear funambol is also working on a Google sync plugin, which would work with their SyncML servers. Supposedly it'll be delivered around the same time as T-Mobile's G1 (ie. intended to be useful for/with Android devices that need to sync with SyncML services).

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ It's dark in here. I hear laughing.
I can attest that GooSync works great. Again, no contacts and only 1 Google calendar for free. I use Google Apps, and my Nokia N95 8GB syncs up very nicely.

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ San Jose, CA
I think the answer to the original question is...today.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/09/g...yncml-devices/

Sounds like it's a little aggressive - a la G1 - but it should work on my Sony-Ericsson K850i...still a little new to the N810 to figure out what part (if any) of my contacts are eventually going to end up there.

The Following User Says Thank You to MMMotors For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted by MMMotors View Post
I think the answer to the original question is...today.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/09/g...yncml-devices/

Sounds like it's a little aggressive - a la G1 - but it should work on my Sony-Ericsson K850i...still a little new to the N810 to figure out what part (if any) of my contacts are eventually going to end up there.
Sadly the SyncML version only supports contacts (atm). Just tried it out - works fine.
To get both contacts and calendar - goosync is still needed (works fine too - but makes some strange things with contacts - fx. makes double entries under each contact regarding phone numbers, addresses, etc.)

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
And, equally sadly, it only allows Google to act as the SyncML server.

I want it to download data from my Work's SyncML enabled calendar server (Oracle Calendar), so that I can effectively use Google Calendar (in a Calendar named "Work") as my calendar client for work's Oracle calendar. Other Google Calendars ("Home", etc.) wouldn't talk to Oracle Calendar at all, for example.

Tags
google, syncml