Active Topics

I've done a search, and I found people who wanted to turn it off, but no one who wanted it to turn on... The problem is that when im reading the forums ill use my finger to scroll the page and when I get to where I want to post, I cant see the keyboard =(

I know I can hit the backspace or space bar or a random key, but maybe there's a config line that will disable the timer for the keyboard LED or maybe set the time to 99999 seconds or something like that.

Is this possible?

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Yea, I totally agree.

Scenario: You flip open the keyboard to type something. You start thinking about what you are going to say, read a few things, and then look down at the keyboard. But wait, its gone all dark, so you have to hit a random key, then hit backspace, then type. Seriously, its not that big of a deal, but it is annoying.

+1

Originally Posted by notladstyle View Post
I've done a search, and I found people who wanted to turn it off, but no one who wanted it to turn on... The problem is that when im reading the forums ill use my finger to scroll the page and when I get to where I want to post, I cant see the keyboard =(

I know I can hit the backspace or space bar or a random key, but maybe there's a config line that will disable the timer for the keyboard LED or maybe set the time to 99999 seconds or something like that.

Is this possible?
I would also like to know the solution for the keyboard light. I would like to use the keyboard while blogging at night in bed.

Yeah, +3, this is a real pain as I like to chill with miminal lighting on an evening and I can't see what I'm typing. With the old n800 as the keyboard was on the screen you could always see.

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Brampton, Ontario, Canada
+4 for all the aforementioned reasons.

gain root, edit /etc/mce/mce.ini with your favorite editor, and change this:
Code:
# Timeout before disabling keyboard backlight when unused
#
# Timeout in seconds, default 10
BacklightTimeout=10
after you are done, go to /etc/init.d and run ' ./mce restart ' and there you go, longer lighting time.

Last edited by Mikma; 2008-10-04 at 22:05.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mikma For This Useful Post:
Dunno, but I would've thought the obvious solution would be flip the keyboard back in and back out rather than typing a random key...

Good to have a proper solution, though.

Originally Posted by Mikma View Post
gain root, edit /etc/mce/mce.ini with your favorite editor, and change this:
Code:
# Timeout before disabling keyboard backlight when unused
#
# Timeout in seconds, default 10
BacklightTimeout=10
after you are done, go to /etc/init.d and run ' ./mce restart ' and there you go, longer lighting time.

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for - but now im stuck trying to figure out how to run an editor from xterm.

nervermind, I copied it to the mydocs directory, edited it with emelfm's editor and then copied it back in xterm and it worked PERFECTLYY!!!!!

NO MORE DARK KEYBOARD!!!!!!! YEY!!!!!

.. I wonder how this is gonna effect battery life.

Last edited by notladstyle; 2008-10-04 at 22:40.

vi exists by default; I think JOE and nano are both readily available.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
emelfm2 is a really good file manager WITH text editor. No need to mess with command line AT all. just type
Code:
sudo gainroot
emelfm2
and you have root file manager!

The Following User Says Thank You to Thesandlord For This Useful Post: