Active Topics

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
It hurts. It hurts.

Make it go away!

Maybe average overtaxed Joe Sixpack on Wasilla Main Street could fire a nukular missile...

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
It hurts. It hurts.

Make it go away!

Maybe average overtaxed Joe Sixpack on Wasilla Main Street could fire a nukular missile...
”I think he can be ready, but right now I don’t believe he is. The presidency is not something that lends itself to on-the-job training.” - Joe Biden, about Barack Obama

I agree

Originally Posted by Aisu View Post
”I think he can be ready, but right now I don’t believe he is. The presidency is not something that lends itself to on-the-job training.” - Joe Biden, about Barack Obama

I agree
Biden reserves the right to change his mind though. I find the usual "flip-flopper" accusation by both sides to be disingenuous, hypocritical (and if voters actually paid attention) politically dangerous. Anyone without the courage to change their mind when it's called for is IMO a dangerous demagogue (current president, anyone?).

But I'm not an Obama/Biden fan. I'm as independent as you're likely to see here, and will probably vote Nader.

But here's the kicker about THIS debate (it didn't involve Obama): some analysts sum up Palin's performance as relief that she didn't stumble like she has in interviews. I have to agree. Contrary to the assessment of the right, she didn't dominate the debate at all. In fact her persistant usage of "nukular" (gawd) and slams against the media had many cringing, self included.

Biden was by no means stellar, but he WAS steady and much closer to point that Palin was. After the high-fiving is over I expect that to be the final, more sober analysis of tonight's debate.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
My diagnosis of the debate is that Palin didn't make any horrible mistakes and also didn't demonstrate charisma that will upset the election.

It does scare me a bit to think of a President McCain reading My Pet Goat to schoolchildren and have Palin running the government while he is away during a huge national crisis. This is not far fetched, since it happened during the Bush administration, except it was Cheney in charge. And if the current administration's pattern continues for future Presidencies, huge national crises happen during every four-year term.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
"The constitutional role of VP should be expanded."

^That's freakin' scary! She really wants to be President... ...and that's all well and good but.

All I want is a smart person to run this country for a change.

I don't want Joe Sixpack, or a maverick who graduated 5th from the bottom of class, or a person that took 6 years full time and 5 different colleges to graduate with a dang B of A.

Crisis management IS critical. And I think the "hearbeat away" concern, while tritely expressed, is fundamentally valid.

It's been so strange watching this election campaign, seeing the democrat candidates as a mirror of the republicans. Switch Biden with Obama, and so many negatives by the opposition vanish. But then, McCain pulled away from the inexperience argument ever since he picked Palin. Surely I'm not the only one noticing that?

EDIT: gotta agree with YoDude. Palin's lack of grasping constitutional tenets is really scary.

And all of them want to give a bailout to Wall Street mofos.

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
"The constitutional role of VP should be expanded."

^That's freakin' scary! She really wants to be President... ...and that's all well and good but.

All I want is a smart person to run this country for a change.

I don't want Joe Sixpack, or a maverick who graduated 5th from the bottom of class, or a person that took 6 years full time and 5 different colleges to graduate with a dang B of A.
Wow, that's a new one... I didn't know that they had a constitutional role...

But, aside from that... I think she has more common sense than McCain and Obama put together. (And the two of them have both been in Washington long enough to grasp just about every law, and how to get around it.) Honestly, the two of them have been sitting in comfy seats in the house for a long, long, time...

And I really don't think she cares too very much (compared to other politicians!) about what her party wants her to do, which is good. (Various "I did ---- in Alaska, against my party," pop in to my head... her accent is cute, though )

I'd rather have a patriot and a good man run the country instead of a genius. (See George Washington for an example. )

And, Texrat, if I were old enough to vote... my ballot would go to Bob Barr, at the moment.

/hides from flying debris/

Last edited by Aisu; 2008-10-03 at 03:26.

Originally Posted by Aisu View Post
But, aside from that... I think she has more common sense than McCain and Obama put together.
I don't see where that assessment comes from. Watch the Couric interviews, and see if you come away with the same opinion. Talk about a train wreck...

And I really don't think she cares too very much (compared to other politicians!) about what her party wants her to do, which is good. (Various "I did ---- in Alaska, against my party," pop in to my head... her accent is cute, though )
I would agree completely IF her actions matched her "maverick" rhetoric. With too few exceptions, it does not.

I'm still with YoDude: give me the brainiac any day over someone representing "Joe Sixpack". Hasn't 8 years of the latter cured us of that quaint notion yet?

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I don't see where that assessment comes from. Watch the Couric interviews, and see if you come away with the same opinion. Talk about a train wreck...

I would agree completely IF her actions matched her "maverick" rhetoric. With too few exceptions, it does not.

I'm still with YoDude: give me the brainiac any day over someone representing "Joe Sixpack". Hasn't 8 years of the latter cured us of that quaint notion yet?
Bush? A millionaire oil man? Joe Sixpack? Wth... He has never, ever, stood for Joe. Just his important friends... over yonder on Wall.

He has neither common sense, nor book smarts.

And that Couric *thing* was an *edited* interview, which should not have been allowed by the Republicans. (What were they thinking!) That was a big mistake. It should have been live.