Posts: 16 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California, USA
The "disconnect" and "change connection" menu items in this status bar app seem to be recently broken on my tablet (diablo N800). Selecting either one makes the menu disappear, but otherwise they have no effect."connectivity settings" works. I'm currently set to automatically connect to wlan, search interval 5 minutes, and unlimited timeout. I discovered the problem when experimenting with settings to extend battery life. I currently must connect automatically, because I have no other way to make a netwok selection.

Any clues? Logfiles I should inspect? It's not Window$, so I'm hoping a reinstall/reflash is not the only solution ;-)

I haven't become root on this thing, but am a reasonably experienced redhat/fedora user.

Posts: 98 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Port Angeles, WA
Mine just went haywire today, after I did the automatic updating of all packages after not doing this for about a week (so if Graphicsguy updated on the 27th, it might be the cause as well). I'm on Diablo, n810. The statusbar applet worked fine until the update.

My wifi statusbar applet has a blank Select Connection window, though it connects automatically. However, the wifi statusbar icon stays unlit, and it says "No Connection" - even though I am actively browsing the Net through my home WIFI.

When the updates happened, there were a number of packages that indicated unable to install, mostly hildon items. I notice a bunch of the messages include missing is adobe-flashplayer(=2.51-1), but one of the first things that updated was adobe-flashplayer to 2.53.1

I pressed install anyway, and when I do refresh updates now, shows all is updated - but above statusbar problem exists.

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Tallahassee, FL
Originally Posted by bizshop
I notice a bunch of the messages include missing is adobe-flashplayer(=2.51-1), but one of the first things that updated was adobe-flashplayer to 2.53.1
Hmm. It's looking for adobe-flashplayer to be equal to "2.51-1" and it's not. It's equal to "2.53.1". There's the reason for the update failures, right there.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by briand View Post
Hmm. It's looking for adobe-flashplayer to be equal to "2.51-1" and it's not. It's equal to "2.53.1". There's the reason for the update failures, right there.
timeless's patch needs to be uninstalled before updating.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2008-09-30 at 01:36.

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2006 @ Paris, FRANCE
Kind of same issue for me when uprading, unfortunately I had no automatic connection so I'm out of wifi/network (even GSM). I opened I report:

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3749

What is timeless's patch? Link?
Will uninstalling this now that the upgrade is done fix the statusbar applet problem?

Thank you for the bug, I'll vote for it!

I voted for the bug, tried to change it to Critical, but won't let anyone but the original reporter change that.

Critical because without being able to use the Wifi, the Internet Tablet is just a tablet, it loses most of its reason for existence for those of us who travel and depend on it.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by bizshop View Post
I voted for the bug, tried to change it to Critical, but won't let anyone but the original reporter change that.
Yes, well, that's why people with editbugs permissions have editbugs because they know not to pull **** like that.

Originally Posted by bizshop View Post
Critical because without being able to use the Wifi, the Internet Tablet is just a tablet, it loses most of its reason for existence for those of us who travel and depend on it.
Critical bugs are major crashers or bugs with severe dataloss. This is not a critical bug (especially as it certainly doesn't affect people with clean systems).

Understand 'critical' now. However, have seen several comments from people who did not install anything 'unclean' and still report the WIFI problem (see thread 228670). Rather than argue, I just want a solution.

The Following User Says Thank You to bizshop For This Useful Post:
Posts: 16 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California, USA
Thankfully, the problem was fixed by today's OS update! But I'm not sure what I would have done otherwise. I assume that something important was reset or overwritten rather than the update containing a specific fix. Is there some way I could have otherwise reverted my OS without reinstalling all apps?

A 'find'command revealed practically no error log files on the device.. This flavor of linux is still quite a mystery to me, I guess. As an experienced linux user but not a maemo developer, it seems a bit difficult to come up to speed.