Active Topics

EDIT: Updated with simpler method.

Ok, been tinkering with my n810 and I came up with an answer to Zonki's one click lock tutorial request. The previous suggestion gave a shell command that could lock or unlock the tablet, but this puts it in the menu itself so as to speed up locking and prevent you from having to fuss with the switch to lock your tablet.

Now first, given the amount of typing you'll need to do, I suggest first creating the following file in a normal text editor on your regular PC, and copying it to your tablet afterwards.

Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=Lock Screen
Comment=lock_screen
Exec=/usr/bin/dbus-send --print-reply --system --dest=com.nokia.mce /com/nokia/mce/request com.nokia.mce.request.req_tklock_mode_change string:locked
Icon=qgn_list_cp_security
Next, save it as "lock.desktop". Now simply copy that to your tablet, then to the folder "/usr/share/applications/hildon" (or replace "hildon" with whatever folder your particular OS version uses).

At this point the new file should be visible in the extras folder. If you don't want it there, simply organize your menu and place it wherever you want. Once you're done, all you'll need to do is click "Personal Menu -> Lock" if using personal menu, or in my case I use the default menu and simply click "Menu -> settings -> Lock Screen".

Well, that's it. Hope this helps everyone. If people have suggestions on ways to auto-blank the screen on lock, or other possibly quicker and easier ways to do this, feel free to chim in. Also, if there's a way to add this to the desktop, that'd rock too. But either way I've been playing with this for a bit and I love it to death. No more futzing with the lock button anymore. Just click, click, click and I'm locked. Then slide the keyboard and I'm ready to go again.

Last edited by Lord Raiden; 2008-09-18 at 18:31.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lord Raiden For This Useful Post:
Ok, I did some more tinkering with this, and interestingly enough, you don't even need to create the screenlock.sh file. Just add the dbus command from the screenlock.sh file on the exec line of the desktop shortcut instead.

Also, change the line "Name=lock_screen" in lock.desktop to "Name=Lock Screen" instead as I now better understand how the name works.

As for the icon, I've been fussing with that some more and it seems that the menu draws out of "/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/hildon" instead of the 26x26 folder I thought it did originally. Also, I tried some external icons, but couldn't get any of them to work, so I'm not sure what's required to add a new icon down there in that folder and make it work on the menu. If anyone has any ideas, let me know. Thanks.

EDIT: AHA! I ran the icon tree through thumbsplus and found that all the important files are in "/usr/share/icons/hicolor/(size)/hildon" with only a few exceptions outside of that. But otherwise the vast majority are in the */hildon folders. Also, there appears to be a lock icon in */scalable/hildon" named "qgn_list_cp_security.png" that will work as a lock icon.

In fact, I think I'll update my tutorial to reflect these discoveries and make this a lot simpler.

Last edited by Lord Raiden; 2008-09-18 at 18:26.

I was actually curious if you could take this say one step further and when you close the slide, it automatically locks for you? I noticed that if you lock the tablet, then open it, and close it, it re-locks automatically. However, if you open it, use it type or navigate somewhere, it will not relock. If you could include a simple command for that, that'd be awesome!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatboyxpc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by fatboyxpc View Post
I was actually curious if you could take this say one step further and when you close the slide, it automatically locks for you? I noticed that if you lock the tablet, then open it, and close it, it re-locks automatically. However, if you open it, use it type or navigate somewhere, it will not relock. If you could include a simple command for that, that'd be awesome!
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=19386

Yeah, this is just a point and click locking feature. Sometimes I don't need it to lock when I close the slide, so this works perfectly for me.

Posts: 54 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Kaiserslautern - Germany
It's a little bit off topic, but I think its fit perfect here

I want a shortcut that changes my profile to silent. This works so far but I have to change some thing in the code that this shortcut doesn't open a app windows and fully loads the cup. Please help What I have to change in the .destop file??

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=Switch Profile
Comment=Switch Profile
Exec=/usr/bin/dbus-send --session --dest=com.nokia.profiled --type=method_call /com/nokia/profiled com.nokia.profiled.set_profile string:"silent"
Icon=statusarea_silent

Posts: 932 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Kentucky
Tap the power button and select "silent". The shortest ever...

The Following User Says Thank You to x61 For This Useful Post:
Thank you, I know that... but this was not my question..

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Then try the status bar, profiles, silent, done.

A few click but hardly going to tax you. However I use the same method as X61

Now how about a button to lock the screen, that would be handy

Here you go...

create a xx.desktop file with this content:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=Lock Screen
Comment=lock_screen
Exec=/usr/bin/dbus-send --print-reply --system --dest=com.nokia.mce /com/nokia/mce/request com.nokia.mce.request.req_tklock_mode_change string:locked
Icon=general_certificate_private_key

and just copy it to /usr/share/applications/hildon/

Look here if you dont'know how to get access to your filesystem with you PC: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...844#post482844

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diamorph For This Useful Post: