Posts: 2 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ sydney,australia
im sorely dissapointed in the fact that after 1 Year of owning my n800 and enjoying most of the benefits,i still cant just pop in an .exe application and wacko i can download todays news offline,it really pisses me off,im not tech savey,i just want to read the news offline(just like avantgo/world offline) all pda applications.with all your experience why ,why,why

You've tried using the RSS reader, haven't you?

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
hmm, sounds like he wants to download the webpages that rss feeds link to...

i recall such a app being worked on, but i cant recall what it was called right now...

found it:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...51&postcount=3

seems it have not been updated in a while, but should still work as its a python app...

nope, spoke too soon. i gave it a spin and it fails to add feeds

Last edited by tso; 2008-07-17 at 11:07.

Ah right. That's going to be difficult since the N800's web browser won't even start up unless there is an Internet connection. I discovered this when trying to use the Google Gears plugin.

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Much like modest, doesn't the browser get cranky if run "offline"

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by piku View Post
Ah right. That's going to be difficult since the N800's web browser won't even start up unless there is an Internet connection. I discovered this when trying to use the Google Gears plugin.
when did that start happening?

i dont have much problem opening up the browser while offline...

offline browsing is ok for me too. got lotsa html format ebooks and the browser handles them well, though screen scrolling seems to be broken, it only selects texts.

The Following User Says Thank You to lazuli For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Me too. ^

-T.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Sometimes its possible to run a database on a local webserver. For example with Wikipedia this is possible. Although one can also convert the SQL (or) XML data to 'dict' format allowing the command line 'dict' to access Wikipedia information. I don't know any other examples besides Wikipedia though.

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
I can view anything I want offline - but I use KDE/Konqueror instead of Microb