Active Topics

having no previous experience with maemo, NITs and even linux in general and having closely followed this forum for quite some time, I still have a couple of unresolved issues about diablo on my n800.

1. metalayer-crawler. I noticed it eats up to 400% cpu (according to load applet) each time I reboot and after I remove a usb connection. this causes a lot of problems for me, since I keep a lot of offline website (converted ebooks) on my card which the crawler has to scan. here are some of the problems it might be causing.
a. laggy startup, unresponsive touchscreen, takes two taps to open any menu
b. GVM fails to refresh installed apps. after the crawler settles down, it works flawlessly
c. possible decrease in battery life and the back of the NIT getting hot sometimes (does this happen in OS2006, 2007 or chinook?)
d. tried to look up ways of disabling it. there are a lot of ways but which one is the safe and reversible way?
e. videocamera hangs after taking a shot when the crawler is active
2. mplayer - using it without a frontend is the best solution for playing large (high bitrate) avi files, however, it scans both my cards when I run it, sort of like metalayer-crawler, and it takes at least 3 minutes to finish probably because I have loads of files (html, websites, pictures) on my 4gig sdhc (which is not corrupt.) is there an easy way of setting search parameters or disabling the autoscan? can I hide directories from it? will associating avi files in the file manager to mplayer circumvent the autoscan?

3. web browser - it seems that it is kind of slow, unlike the OS2007 videos I’ve seen in youtube. I had to disable flash just to speed it up a little. even this website renders slowly, sometimes it gets stuck loading a page. to all who've had experience with the past OS, do you notice a performance drop in microB?

4. camera autoflip sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. I use the videocam app a lot and I have been looking for the cause of this problem for quite some time now. here's what I know about it:
a. it is related to the internet call autostart. if you pull out the cam and the internet call doesn't start (even if it is set to do so) then the autoflip also won't work
b. it is solved by restarting the tablet. a thread here mentioned that removing the battery for a few minutes would solve it. so far it works for me.
5. pressing and holding the power button restarts the device - is this the normal behavior? I also get random restarts and endless reboots after trying out some programs.

6. how much virtual memory should I allocate? I think I remember reading something about allocating too much virtual memory which can cause performance a drop (I think it was for winxp)

7. battery life - from what I’m experiencing in diablo, is indeed dismal (as one thread pointed out)

8. internet browser annoyance - when using the square button to launch the finger keypad on a text field in a browser, say for example in the google search field or a username/password field, the browser takes this as a "go to" or "enter" command. the keyboard pops up but the browser loads a new page, thus rendering the typed text useless. i know I can just tap it with fingertip but it only works 2/10 times

All of the above are just the ones I can remember right now. hope to get reactions from you guys. thanks in advance!

Last edited by lazuli; 2008-07-15 at 07:41.

1. Disable meta-crawler: http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=21330

3. Don't know specifically outside of using an ad-blocking hosts file and userContent.css. Using iPhone specific sites is also helpful.

4. Common problem with mixed reproducibility. I thought there was a Maemo bugs page for it, but I can't find it at the moment.

5. Pressing and holding should just turn the unit off. You can edit /etc/systemui/systemui.xml if you want to add Reboot to the power menu (uncomment the relevant lines)

6. 128MB or whatever the max is. It may cause the SD card not to mount on USB... not sure if there's a fix/workaround.

Last edited by FierceDeityLink1; 2008-07-15 at 03:51.

The Following User Says Thank You to FierceDeityLink1 For This Useful Post:
ADDED #8 on the list

@FierceDeityLink1, did you use that to disable the crawler? no ill effects? thanks for the quick response!

more reactions please!

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by lazuli View Post
8. internet browser annoyance - when using the square button to launch the finger keypad on a text field in a browser, say for example in the google search field or a username/password field, the browser takes this as a "go to" or "enter" command. the keyboard pops up but the browser loads a new page, thus rendering the typed text useless. i know I can just tap it with fingertip but it only works 2/10 times
Known bug, fix may ship with an SSU update.