Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
##Copying almost literally from my blog but with a title with less marketing, I am really tired at 2:40am##

I have released Pyrecipe's first version. It can create, edit and show recipes. Actually it can import recipes in the Gourmet and Krecipes formats. It can export to HTML, Gourmet, Krecipes and Mealmaster formats. More formats are coming.

It has other functions as Timer, where you will be able to control the time you are cooking.
Also it has a small Shopping List. It has a basic interface, with options to add, to delete and to mark items. You can save shopping lists in a file to open them in another moment.

Pyrecipe is in beta state yet. Actually it only run in OS2008. Soon it will support previous versions.
If you want to try it, you can install pyrecipe pressing in this arrow in your Internet Tablet browser:

It will add the extras-devel catalogue with beta software to your application manager. I recommend that after installing pyrecipe you should deactivate this catalogue. You can do it with the following way:
  • Go to the application manager.
  • Menu ->Tools -> Application catalogue.
  • Search the 'maemo Extras Devel' catalogue and select it.
  • Press Edit button.
  • Check Disable.
  • OK and Close, and it's all.
I would receive charmed comments about the application as well as international recipes or even a lunch invite
Also I am looking for recipes in gourmet/krecipes format what it can't import.

Attached a couple of screenshots, they are a little big, sorry if you have a slow connection.
Attached Images

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to yerga For This Useful Post:
Posts: 177 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Espoo, Finland
Thanks for the great program! It's looking very good, I've been trying it out now with my wife and we both like it a lot. Actually we like it more than Gourmet on the desktop! =). The interface is very elegant and simple, and it looks very crisp - really, really nice job! The utilities are a great idea, every recipe program should have a timer like that.

Anyway, here's some wishlist / suggestion type feedback from us for your already marvelous software:

- Import: could html, text and xml formats be accepted? The gourmet export command actually (at least my version) exports as xml, but I had to rename it to .grmt to get your program to accept it. Also: would it be possible to have the import directly from a web page - just by copying a link and having it pull the html file (gourmet does this)?
- When you are editing/creating a new recipe, one of the paintbrush icons will clear all ingredients. There's no warning about this, that might be a good idea, it's a bit unfortunate clicking it after entering plenty of things first.
- When editing/creating a recipe, the default on the N810 in the amount box is the letter mode, not numerals. Is it possible to change it so that it'd default to inputting numbers? not a big deal at all, but might be a bit more intuitive.
- When entering ingredients, you can't edit things you've already entered, but you have to delete and re-enter (to change amount or spelling, for example, if you made a mistake) . Edit button?
- Shopping list: it would be great to be auto-create these from ingredients. Like select recipe and have ingredients and amounts added to shopping list for further editing.
- This would probably be a big change but still: recipe programs with many recipes would work great with tags. These might work better than categories..."indian", "dessert", "chicken", "pork"...that sort of thing: and then seaching for "indian"+"chicken" or "dessert"+"pork" *lol* whatever, probably would be a major change but could be nice.

Anyway, thank you. Great program!

The Following User Says Thank You to BatPenguin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by BatPenguin View Post
Thanks for the great program! It's looking very good, I've been trying it out now with my wife and we both like it a lot. Actually we like it more than Gourmet on the desktop! =). The interface is very elegant and simple, and it looks very crisp - really, really nice job! The utilities are a great idea, every recipe program should have a timer like that.
Thanks. I wanted to do it the most simple possible but with the sufficient features to be useful even in its first version.

Anyway, here's some wishlist / suggestion type feedback from us for your already marvelous software:

- Import: could html, text and xml formats be accepted? The gourmet export command actually (at least my version) exports as xml, but I had to rename it to .grmt to get your program to accept it. Also: would it be possible to have the import directly from a web page - just by copying a link and having it pull the html file (gourmet does this)?
Sure. Html and text would be more difficult (are very flexible formats). Same happens with a website. But with a bit of input from the user it will be possible and it will be supported.
My gourmet version export recipes as .grmt, really is in xml format, but pyrecipe looks in the extension to accept or reject a file. It could look for something else and allow any extension. It will be a better way to do it.

- When you are editing/creating a new recipe, one of the paintbrush icons will clear all ingredients. There's no warning about this, that might be a good idea, it's a bit unfortunate clicking it after entering plenty of things first.
Yes, it would be better if it has a confirmation dialog. It isn't difficult press a button accidentally.

- When editing/creating a recipe, the default on the N810 in the amount box is the letter mode, not numerals. Is it possible to change it so that it'd default to inputting numbers? not a big deal at all, but might be a bit more intuitive.
Now, it can accept numerals and letters, it's flexible with it. Probably it isn't necessary that it accepts letters.

- When entering ingredients, you can't edit things you've already entered, but you have to delete and re-enter (to change amount or spelling, for example, if you made a mistake) . Edit button?
Yes, it has sense. In my tests it could be edited inline inside of the list. But there is a bug in the widget and it doesn't save the editions, and finally I removed it and didn't add anything to do the same function. A Edit button will do the work.

- Shopping list: it would be great to be auto-create these from ingredients. Like select recipe and have ingredients and amounts added to shopping list for further editing.
It's in my todo list. It's the first feature I would want add in the next version.

- This would probably be a big change but still: recipe programs with many recipes would work great with tags. These might work better than categories..."indian", "dessert", "chicken", "pork"...that sort of thing: and then seaching for "indian"+"chicken" or "dessert"+"pork" *lol* whatever, probably would be a major change but could be nice.
Not major change in pyrecipe. It could support tags. Though if not another manager supports tags, it would be difficult to interact with it. On exporting or importing recipes these tags would be lost (though always the tags could be used as categories, only that some formats only support one category).

Anyway, thank you. Great program!
Thank you for try it and your useful comments. I really estimate them.
If we do this for free it's for the users and always it's grateful when there is feedback (even when it's not good)

The Following User Says Thank You to yerga For This Useful Post:
Posts: 35 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2006 @ Madrid, Spain
The program is really awesome, but Is there any place where I can download recipes?

Yerga, great job like always, it's a really good first version

Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
The program is really awesome, but Is there any place where I can download recipes?

Yerga, great job like always, it's a really good first version
Thanks!

There isn't a place for download recipes directly yet. Gourmet can to do it more automatically, you can use gourmet in the desktop and then import the recipes in the tablet with pyrecipe. But it's necessary a bit of input from the user yet.

I am looking for methods to automate the process the most possible, but now only have ideas around my head.

Last edited by yerga; 2008-07-15 at 21:20. Reason: wrong link

The Following User Says Thank You to yerga For This Useful Post:
Posts: 487 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ London, UK
If anyone wants to try out some recipes, here's are couple.
Just download it to your tablet and import it in Pyrecipe.

http://www.mediafire.com/?6m0msmnk4qp

Ill send Reggie an email asking to add .grmt to the list Valid file extensions.

Applications I've made:
- Vuvuzela
- LTM: London Tube Map

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to El Amir For This Useful Post:
Posts: 41 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto
Great program!

Any chance that this could support ingredient groups? I was trying to figure out why my ingredients weren't showing up in PyRecipe, and then I realized that all my ingredients are in groups.

Groups look like this in Gourmet's XML file:

Code:
<inggroup>
 <groupname>
         Saute 5 minutes
 </groupname>
 <ingredient>
  <item>
         olive oil
  </item>
 </ingredient>
 <ingredient>
  <amount>
  </amount>
  <unit>
          cups
  </unit>
  <item>
          onion, choped
  </item>
 </ingredient>
</inggroup>

Originally Posted by magog View Post
Great program!

Any chance that this could support ingredient groups? I was trying to figure out why my ingredients weren't showing up in PyRecipe, and then I realized that all my ingredients are in groups.

Groups look like this in Gourmet's XML file:

Code:
<inggroup>
 <groupname>
         Saute 5 minutes
 </groupname>
 <ingredient>
  <item>
         olive oil
  </item>
 </ingredient>
 <ingredient>
  <amount>
  </amount>
  <unit>
          cups
  </unit>
  <item>
          onion, choped
  </item>
 </ingredient>
</inggroup>
Ah! Thanks!
I hadn't realized the groups of ingredients. It will be fixed in the next version.

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by yerga View Post
Ah! Thanks!
I hadn't realized the groups of ingredients. It will be fixed in the next version.
Great! Thank you!!

Michael

Seems like a good program. Its developers like you who make the n800 a great device

The Following User Says Thank You to klogdog For This Useful Post: