Hello! I'm new to these kinds of devices, but they are very intriguing to me. I actually stumbled across them while looking for an MP3 player, and I would probably use the device as such pretty frequently. However, I don't have a laptop and I don't have a lot of interest in getting one, as the only thing that excites me about them is wireless Internet browsing, so an IT seems pretty perfect for me. I am considering both the N800 and N810. Mainly what I want to do with this thing is:

-Listen to MP3s over headphones or in the car (I have about 15 gigs of music, although I don't exactly need ALL of it with me all the time of course)
-Browse the Internet over WiFi, including more intensive sites like YouTube
-Possibly other random apps like games or PIM-y stuff depending on what's out there

While the N810 is a bit smaller and is very nice-looking, the N800's much lower cost and higher storage capacity make me think it would suit me better. What do you guys think I should go with? Thanks!

Since the N810 and the N800 use the same software, it'll all come down to design, size and memory card size. Since you've got 15GB of music, the only way you could work with that is with two 8GB mini cards on the N810, so having the SD slot on the N800 makes that possible whether you want to carry all your music at once or not. As for surfing, I thought that I'd be using the keyboard more on the N810, but I tend to use the virtual keyboard more while surfing, so that's another one for the N800.

My only warning for mp3 listening would be this; I hope you have easy to drive IEM's or headphones as the volume can be low for anything over 32 ohms. I'm using the 21 ohm UE superfi 5 pro's with the N810 and they're perfect, but when using other open phones like the 32 ohm Sennheiser PX-100's or Koss's 60 ohm ksc 75's, I'm always looking for more volume and that's with running the music through mp3gain ( There's two volumes on the N800/N810 master and program volume). Good sealed IEM's shouldn't be a problem with the N800/N810 and either using the built in media player with shuffling mode or the added Software Canola should give you a pretty good listening experience.

As for games, I'm having a pretty good time with Id's Quake and Quake 2. I'm hoping more games like that are ported in the future. Most of the other games are pretty basic, but with the open source community out there, it has a lot of potential for games as well.

So, bottom line is if I were you, I'd probably go for the N800 for cost, space and the fact that it does mostly everything the N810 does ( no GPS, but can be added externally ), but has the bonus of listening to FM radio.

The Following User Says Thank You to callanish For This Useful Post:
The N800 is a better media player than the N810, thanks to the two, full-size SD slots. The transreflective screen of the N810 should be an advantage in a car on a sunny day, but I'd rather have the N800's storage advantage.

The N810's keyboard will be an advantage for blogging, posting on forums, etc, but for simple web browsing, they're equal.

Whoa, thanks for the heads-up on the headphones. I have KSC75s actually, but, as you likely know, they're a bit awkward to store so a good pair of IEMs might be a good investment anyway. Is the sound quality pretty good once you get impedance problem out of the way?

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Originally Posted by HondaCivet View Post
Hello! I'm new to these kinds of devices, but they are very intriguing to me. I actually stumbled across them while looking for an MP3 player, and I would probably use the device as such pretty frequently. However, I don't have a laptop and I don't have a lot of interest in getting one, as the only thing that excites me about them is wireless Internet browsing, so an IT seems pretty perfect for me. I am considering both the N800 and N810. Mainly what I want to do with this thing is:

-Listen to MP3s over headphones or in the car (I have about 15 gigs of music, although I don't exactly need ALL of it with me all the time of course)
-Browse the Internet over WiFi, including more intensive sites like YouTube
-Possibly other random apps like games or PIM-y stuff depending on what's out there

While the N810 is a bit smaller and is very nice-looking, the N800's much lower cost and higher storage capacity make me think it would suit me better. What do you guys think I should go with? Thanks!
Gee - with a handle like yours I expected you would be interested in apps like Carman and Maemomapper.

As a simple MP3 player/video viewer the 800 should fill your bill. The N810's GPS isn't all that great and a decent Igo kb can usually be had for about $30 if you find yourself needing a kb..
PLEASE use the Wiki

Originally Posted by gemniii42 View Post
Gee - with a handle like yours I expected you would be interested in apps like Carman and Maemomapper.

As a simple MP3 player/video viewer the 800 should fill your bill. The N810's GPS isn't all that great and a decent Igo kb can usually be had for about $30 if you find yourself needing a kb..
Haha, actually that mapping program looks very cool. I think that a big advantage of on-the-go internet browsing would be the use of stuff like Google Maps to orient yourself if you get a bit lost, but something like that seems like it would work when you get into WiFi dead spots as well.

Originally Posted by HondaCivet View Post
Whoa, thanks for the heads-up on the headphones. I have KSC75s actually, but, as you likely know, they're a bit awkward to store so a good pair of IEMs might be a good investment anyway. Is the sound quality pretty good once you get impedance problem out of the way?
Actually once you get over the volume issue, with whatever you choose to listen to it with, the sound is pretty good. There isn't any EQ on the standard media player or Canola to use, but using various iem's and headphones, I'd say the sound overall is neutral with a hint of bass, but the clarity is good.

Those Ksc 75's are normally great under most circumstances; just not punchy enough with the Nokia N810 or loud enough outside. Isolation is a must have with the Nokia and that's where the IEM's come in handy plus the added bonus of being so portable. Like I said, lower impedance is essential with the Nokia.

When you take into account everything that the IT tablet can do, you can forgive it that it won't be the best mp3 player, but I personally think it's good at everything it tries to do, especially after this latest diablo update. I'm now sold on having something that's an all in one device as I got tired of taking too many devices with me everytime I travelled somewhere.

Originally Posted by callanish View Post
Actually once you get over the volume issue, with whatever you choose to listen to it with, the sound is pretty good. There isn't any EQ on the standard media player or Canola to use, but using various iem's and headphones, I'd say the sound overall is neutral with a hint of bass, but the clarity is good.

Those Ksc 75's are normally great under most circumstances; just not punchy enough with the Nokia N810 or loud enough outside. Isolation is a must have with the Nokia and that's where the IEM's come in handy plus the added bonus of being so portable. Like I said, lower impedance is essential with the Nokia.

When you take into account everything that the IT tablet can do, you can forgive it that it won't be the best mp3 player, but I personally think it's good at everything it tries to do, especially after this latest diablo update. I'm now sold on having something that's an all in one device as I got tired of taking too many devices with me everytime I travelled somewhere.
Yeah, I was tired of looking at all sorts of MP3 players with beautiful screens and cool interfaces that do absolutely nothing besides play music, pictures and maybe video. It seems like such a waste of good hardware! An IT would be much more useful and much more fun.

I think I've settled on the N800 then. If anyone's got a spare, they can let me know, haha.

Here is some more information to confuse you more (I just bought an N810)

The virtual keyboards are fine for filling in forms with just a few words, the slider is much better for anything much longer (like this posting), but you can get many USB or bluetooth keybards for either. I have a flexible roll-up full sized USB one for mine.

Some of the apps seem to be optimized for the button layout of the older 770/800.

An external GPS is probably better for automotive use because the antenna needs to be in the window for good sky view, therefore so does the N810's internal GPS. The map options of the 3rd party (and free) GPS appa are real good however, and you can pre-download a set of maps for an area you want.. So far the GPS apps are awkward to use while driving unless you got your routes all pre-loaded as well.

The N800 has an FM radio, if you care.

The N810 is slightly faster,

The hp power is low, but it appears to have nothing to due with headphone impedance, just the overall effeciency of the headphones. I just tried several sets I own and my 60-ohm Koss KTX/Pros do as well as or better than the many 16 to 30 ohm earbuds I own. The funny thing is that the sound from the built-in speakers are amazingly loud and good for what they are (tiny).

Even though they claim you can only put an 8-gig mini/micro SD in an N810, I'll bet you can put in a bigger capacity one once somebody actually starts making them, which I've heard might be real soon.

A lot of people who have owned all, seem to prefer the overall size of the N800 or N770 better. They think they are more rugged.

All that said, I do like my N810, but maybe the N800 could be better for you.

Originally Posted by wartstew View Post

The N810 is slightly faster,

The hp power is low, but it appears to have nothing to due with headphone impedance, just the overall effeciency of the headphones. I just tried several sets I own and my 60-ohm Koss KTX/Pros do as well as or better than the many 16 to 30 ohm earbuds I own. The funny thing is that the sound from the built-in speakers are amazingly loud and good for what they are (tiny).
I agree with most things you said, except that the N810 and N800 are both running at 400mhz, so I don't know how the N810 is faster. Care to clear that one up?

As for the driving ability of earbuds or headphones on the N810 and the built in speakers, my unit seems to operate differently because my ksc 75's ( same ohms as the pro's ) will not drive my Nokia anywhere close to my low ohm phones and my speakers don't go all that loud either, so we've got strange differences.

Hopefully HondaCivet gets one like yours so he can use his ksc75's with them, because I can't use mine on the N810 outside of the house