Hello. I just got a n810, and so far so good. The only problem I've had so far is that one of the tiny screws on the metal stand fell out. No problem as I think I can fix with with an eyeglass repair kit. I am only a little experienced with linux, but I am learning. I have a few learning questions:

1. I'd really like to update my firmware. I'm running version 1.2007.42-19. Could someone direct me to or write a How-to about reflashing on linux? I read the maemo.org how-to but it wasn't helpful to me and a novice. I have the "flasher-3.0.amd64" file, as well as the latest os image, but I don't know where I should put the flasher to make it executable via terminal. I am used to using repositories and package managers. I am running kubuntu 7.10.

2. I prefer to use my fingers, and the font size for the browser and interface is smaller than I prefer. I know I can zoom in, but I would rather take the browser font up a few notches, and well and tinkering with the gui in general. I know that there is a theme modification program, but has anyone used it, and how well does it work.

Thanks a lot.

Posts: 425 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ California
Hey, for the flasher, just open a terminal window on your computer and type:

Code:
cd <directory where the flasher program is stored>
chmod +x flasher-3.0.amd64 (This step may not be necessary but it can't hurt)
Then turn off your N810 and connect it to your computer using USB, but don't turn it on.

type:
Code:
./flasher-3.0.amd64 -F <filename of OS image .bin> -f -R
when your terminal displays "Waiting for suitable USB device" or something similar,
turn on your N810 while holding down the "home key" (the one that opens the task switcher)

The rest of the flashing process should be automated

For the browser font size, a quick search on this forum for "browser font size" found this:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=18333

And the theme modification program is very easy to use, just be sure you know how to use photoshop or GIMP with some degree of proficiency

Hope this helps!

Warning: dates on calendar are closer than they appear.

Last edited by josiahg777; 2008-06-30 at 17:22. Reason: code error fixed

The Following User Says Thank You to josiahg777 For This Useful Post:
"chmod 755 file" in a terminal will give that file execute permission. Then execute "./file" from that directory to run it.

You can increase the minimum font size in the browser (search the forums, they're preferences like font.minimum-size.x-western"), but it can break the layout on crappy pages. You can also try "Fit to width" and zooming in the browser, but in my experience it works poorly a lot of the time.

Well, I've been using my tablet for a while without reflashing it, which is an indication that Nokia did a good job with the OS, but now that I'm trying to reflash it, I'm finding that this procedure did not work for me. I am using Ubuntu, and perhaps that is my problem. Here my terminal process, I tried both recommendations:

Code:
j@ubuntu:~$ cd /home/j/
j@ubuntu:~$ chmod +x flasher-3.0.amd64
j@ubuntu:~$ ./flasher-3.0.amd64 -F /home/j/Linux Distros/RX-44_DIABLO_4.2008.23-14_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin -f -R
bash: ./flasher-3.0.amd64: cannot execute binary file
j@ubuntu:~$ chmod 755 /home/j/flasher-3.0.amd64
j@ubuntu:~$ ./flasher-3.0.amd64 -F /home/j/Linux Distros/RX-44_DIABLO_4.2008.23-14_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin -f -R
bash: ./flasher-3.0.amd64: cannot execute binary file
j@ubuntu:~$
j@ubuntu:~$
What did I do wrong?

Do you have an amd64 machine or a x86 machine?
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

I have a dual processor amd64, HP pavilion laptop. Should I try the x86 version?

Nah.. I just see that same error when trying to execute ARMEL binaries on my x86 machines.. figured maybe the Architecture was wrong.

Dual amd64's should use that binary.. Maybe it's corrupt?
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by J-Morris View Post
I have a dual processor amd64, HP pavilion laptop. Should I try the x86 version?
Are you running 32bit (x86) Ubuntu on your 64bit hardware? Try running "uname -a" in a terminal. My 64bit Linux PC has "x86_64" in the output.

The Following User Says Thank You to ace For This Useful Post:
OK, I did it! Turns out the amd64 flasher didn't work on my machine. ace and fatal saint were right about running 32bit linux, which means I have to update the firmware on something other than my n810. This confirms my suspicion that my friend did a big hack-job installing my ubuntu , which explains a few things, it also means that it is time to learn to do it myself. This, of course, is a tangent for another forum.

Anyhow, for anyone else doing this, this is what it looked like when I did it right, note that I had to sudo to access the USB:

Code:
j@ubuntu:~/distros$ sudo ./flasher-3.0 -F /home/j/distros/RX-44_DIABLO_4.2008.23-14_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin -f -R
Also, if the directory that the files are in is two words like "Linux Distros" it won't work. I renamed the wordy folder name to "distros" and it worked. So, awesome. I learned a few things today. I am so cool.

Last edited by J-Morris; 2008-08-25 at 23:46. Reason: givin' credit where credit is due

This confirms my suspicion that my friend did a big hack-job installing my ubuntu , which explains a few things, it also means that it is time to learn to do it myself. This, of course, is a tangent for another forum.
There are legitimate reasons to install 32bit OS on 64bit hardware. Fewer on Linux than Windows, though.

Also, if the directory that the files are in is two words like "Linux Distros" it won't work. I renamed the wordy folder name to "distros" and it worked. So, awesome. I learned a few things today. I am so cool.
The shell (the program that accepts input in a terminal) uses spaces to separate arguments to programs. So, if you want to use spaces IN an argument, they need to be escaped with a backslash ( Linux\ Distros ) or quoted ( 'Linux Distros' or "Linux Distros" ).

But autocomplete is the easiest way, type "Li" then hit tab. If no other file/directory starts with "Li", the shell will fill in "Linux Distros", properly escaped. If another file/directory starts with "Li", hit tab a second time to see a list of them. Then type a few more characters and try tab again.