Notices

I want/need what would be a killer application for the N800 and N810. I envision using the N800 as a powerpoint presenter in which the "d"-pad is used to advance the powerpoint slides on a blue-tooth connected computer. On the n800 screen (preferably in portrait mode) would be, possibly an thumbnail of the current slide, but most importantly the notes for the speaker pertaining to the current slide. As the next slide advances, the notes for each successive slide are displayed on the N800 screen.

The only potential issue might be the maximum range of the BT receiver. Another possibility would be a usb cable that plugs from the N800 to the powerpoint computer that advances the slides. Obviously there would have to be a program running on the presentation computer as well to accept the input from the N800 to advance or go back from slide to slide.

Any programmers out there?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by microfab View Post
I envision using the N800 as a powerpoint presenter in which the "d"-pad is used to advance the powerpoint slides on a blue-tooth connected computer. On the n800 screen (preferably in portrait mode) would be, possibly an thumbnail of the current slide, but most importantly the notes for the speaker pertaining to the current slide.
Every other month or so I almost talk myself into purchasing Office and Visual Studio so I can work on this very program. (Well, except for the portrait bit.) I don't know that I have the time though, sorry.

Posts: 157 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Oxford, UK
That's a really neat idea for an application. I think a wifi connection might be simpler, although many of the conferences I go to manage to overload the available wifi to the extent that I never assume I can use wifi while presenting and of course there's also the question of whether the wifi available allows peer-to-peer.

I'd also prefer onscreen buttons for next/previous as I've got an N810 so the dpad isn't available without opening the keyboard.

The simplest thing would probably be something driving the presentation on the PC through COM and supplying a remote (e.g. xmlrpc) interface to a simple Python app on the tablet. Another option would be to drive Impress remotely. Actually what would be really nice and quite easy would be to write the PC program as a simple web server and then you'd just need to open the appropriate URL on the tablet and away you go. Also you then aren't tied to any particular remote device.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
I'd also prefer onscreen buttons for next/previous...
This is my preference as well, but I think both control methods should be offered.

I actually tried presenting slides on the internet tablet using the standard image viewer but just one on one . Keynote on the mac will let you specify slide resolution. I just specified 800x480 and then exported the slides into .jpg.

I would like to see a Salling Clicker app to control a laptop via bluetooth, or just a built in video out.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
KDE358 has kpresenter which opens and works with MS powerpoint,http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=20884

KOffice has KWord, KSpread, KPresenter. They open, MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. I tested it.

you may want to take a look,

bun

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
I'm not looking for a viewer for Powerpoint. What I want is an N8x0 remote that advances a powerpoint presentation running on a laptop. In addition I want the N8x0 to be able to show me my personal notes for the presention that are coordinated to the powerpoint presentation running on the laptop/projector.

Before trying KDE and Kpresenter, can it do this function?

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by microfab View Post
I'm not looking for a viewer for Powerpoint. What I want is an N8x0 remote that advances a powerpoint presentation running on a laptop. In addition I want the N8x0 to be able to show me my personal notes for the presention that are coordinated to the powerpoint presentation running on the laptop/projector.

Before trying KDE and Kpresenter, can it do this function?
I think I am a little confused. So, you want to turn the N8x0 into a remote to advance the slides on the PC and read your own note, privately, at the tablet and projects ONLY the slides via the PC. This keeps your note from the projection, i.e., your audience, right? You need Synergy, which allows one to connect the tablet to the PC and see your own screen on the tablet and have the PC running the powerpoint for the slide projection. Synergy is here, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=9009.

Is that what you want? Just say bun reads your mind

You do not need KDE for such arrangement, but, you can still install KDE just for the hack of it ,

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-07-04 at 16:39.

Bun, you are psychic.

Your description seems to be a correct representation of what I want. The N8x0 acts as a remote to advance slides on the laptop powerpoint (either using the d-pad (N800) or a button on the screen (N810). When I look at the N8x0 I want to see my script or talking points for the slide that the audience is seeing. When I press the slide advance on the N8x0, the next powerpoint slide will come up on the laptop and the N8x0 will show the script for the new slide. And I want it in portrait mode so I can hold the N8x0 like you hold an iphone. A thumbnail image of the current powerpoint slide on the screen of the N8x0 would be a nice touch.

I would try Synergy but Nokia is busy fixing my N800. Again. But UPS has my repaired (hopefully) unit and I will see soon...

The Following User Says Thank You to microfab For This Useful Post:
slightly off (on?) topic, is there actually a powerpoint viewer on the NIT? it would be great if i can just open my presentations directly rather than converting them to jpegs..