In my love / hate relationship with my N800, I have to say that last week I really loved it. I had to travel to Brazil and took my treo phone with me with every assurance from Verizon that it would work fine....Nope. Then I also found out that my plan would have charged $2.00 per min. When I got to the hotel, I connected to the wifi with my N800 and turned on SKYPE. Crystal clear 45min call to my wife every day cost $0.90. It was a life saver. I could check my cell phone voice mail, call the plant, call customers...it was great. I also was able to use my Holux GPS and find my way around the city of Sao Paulo.

The Following User Says Thank You to microfab For This Useful Post:
Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
Indeed. I have had the same experience on various trips since I owned a 770... Enjoy!

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
They are teriffic travel companions!

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
They are great travel companion. The best I have ever come across in my whole life.

Two big limitations though: battery and wifi.

I think I solved the battery problems, use battery extender.
wifi is difficult to get by. In Hongkong, I bought a $25/month plan and was very happy about it. But there is NO such thing/such price in china and my cell treo650, of course, failed to work in China. I will be back to china once a year still not be able to come up with a plan.

Totally agree, the tablet is probably the best travel companion. And with my WorldTV and VCURLs72, I can even watch basketball anywhere I want to. thanks Nokia,

bun

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
I used my 770 last September when I was vacationing in Italy to follow the Phillies chasing the Mets during the last two weeks of the season. Internet access while traveling is my primary use for the thing. When Nokia feels the tablets are ready for prime time, this is definitely a use that should be stressed in their marketing.

Originally Posted by mullf View Post
... When Nokia feels the tablets are ready for prime time, this is definitely a use that should be stressed in their marketing.
No kidding, Nokia should stress that. In HK, they do not broadcast NCAA college basketball, but I was able to catch some clips here and there from sport news channel. With wifi and battery, the tablet is definitely better than wiskey and woman/man/both . Yes, I hereby grant Nokia to use this post for marketting purpose.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-06-15 at 01:44.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
we have a combined VOIP and analogue telephone (not skype) at home - a Siemens S685ip, and I was able to phone my wife and son regularly for free during a recent vacation to the USA. It was cool to ring wife from Phoenix airport whilst waiting to board to confirm my flight schedule - they have free wifi at that airport!

I was also able to keep up with news, using the rss reader. And sometimes I'd want to look up phone numbers and schedules of cinema/movie theatres.

I was able to remain in contact with work to receive critical emails (I have a separate pop3 account dedicated to the tablet, it's on a hosted (free) gmail account so I can also webmail it).

On a previous long road trip with wife and son, my son was able to watch a movie I'd ripped from DVD, which alleviated the boredom.

Yup the tablet is a great travelling companion.

And don't forget the built-in FM radio. When I wait in airport terminals and don't want to pay $10 for internet access, it gives me free entertainments and news.

Originally Posted by ch8xy View Post
And don't forget the built-in FM radio. When I wait in airport terminals and don't want to pay $10 for internet access, it gives me free entertainments and news.
That is an excellent point. I mostly use it for 'elevator' music though .

bun

Posts: 477 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Munich, Germany
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
Two big limitations though: battery and wifi.
What about spare batteries? At least, on the tablets, you can exchange the batteries. It's not like on the iPods and iPhone.

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
In Hongkong, I bought a $25/month plan and was very happy about it. But there is NO such thing/such price in china and my cell treo650, of course, failed to work in China. I will be back to china once a year still not be able to come up with a plan.
One of the Chinese telcos has a wifi network. You buy a prepay card for it. Unfortunately, it does not work with the browser in os2008 (can't pass the authentification page), but that may change with the next version. Many tourist hotels have wifi, sometimes free. Some trendy cafes also have free wifi. Sometimes, you will even find free wifi in busy commercial streets. I did not have any problems to stay connected in China.

On the other hand, I do not think that China has (yet) a 3G network, so a cell phone connection would be slow. Roaming charges are high. My (European) phone worked, but I did not use it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jerome For This Useful Post: