Hello,
i have a n800 right now and was wondering if it was a good time to upgrade to a n810 considering i have heard some things about the next version of the tablet coming out soon?

So what are the opinions of the other ppl on the server??

Tnx

well i too have a n800 and bought it last December. Back then i was considering to get an n810, but the deal that buy.com was too good to pass by, so i went and spent $216. The n810 now is around $350 and now that i have a n800, i feel no need to upgrade. The n810 has a keyboard, but i can always buy a bluetooth one. The n810 has a gps, but it costs $ to use and i don't even own a car! (I'm 14). To me the n810 isn't really that worth it due to the price point and extraneous features and i would rather spend my money on a eee pc 701 surf. The n800 does the job and it does it well.

ps
search the forums for: what would you realistically like to see in the n900. Now once you find this, bookmark it and wait till the weekend. Then go to starbucks with ur n800 in the morning and order a venti passion tea. Start reading and tell ur wife that you might not be home for dinner.

Last edited by Scarflash; 2008-06-12 at 06:15.

The Following User Says Thank You to Scarflash For This Useful Post:
I love my 810. The screen is great and i can type fast enough to chat with the thumbboard. On the other hand the 870 is going to be awesume

Scarflash speaks wisely. The N810 is really an N800 with a keyboard and GPS.* Unless you really need those features, I would say 'wait for a bit'.

What was it that you hoped to get out of the upgrade?

*OK it's a little more than that, but k/b+gps is close enough .

As Red says, the N800 and N810 are absolutely identical, they're the same tablet with the same hardware inside the casing, but the N810 has a built-in keyboard and GPS unit. Their screens are the same physical size and resolution, though the N810's is easier to read in sunlight.

If the built-in keyboard isn't important to you, I'd get the N800 because it's about half the price of the N810, which will leave quite a bit of cash to get the next tablet.

You can actually use bluetooth and normal computer keyboards with the N800, though of course these aren't as portable as a built-in one.

Bear in mind though that the next tablet might not be released until the end of the year or even the beginning of next year, so there might still be quite a wait. None of us know when it will be out though.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I have decided that I don't like my iGo bt keyboard, which makes the argument for the N810 stronger. I have an N800. I have also misplaced the gps unit for my n800. I have also had problems reading the N800 screen in certain situations. So, if you can get the N810 for less than $400 (which is what I paid for the N800 a year and a half ago), I would get it rather than the N800.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I have decided that I don't like my iGo bt keyboard, which makes the argument for the N810 stronger. I have an N800. I have also misplaced the gps unit for my n800. I have also had problems reading the N800 screen in certain situations. So, if you can get the N810 for less than $400 (which is what I paid for the N800 a year and a half ago), I would get it rather than the N800.
$314.49 with some work around from buy.com, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=20879, thread#3.

N800 has 2 full size SD slots. N810 has none! Period.

That being said. The built-in keyboard and GPS worth a lot more than the separate one. "misplaced" as in Geneven is one. During actual use in driving in a car, I have only ONE cable, to plug the N810 and hook it to the windshield and I am going. For the n800, I have two cables, one to plug in the N800, another one to plug in the GPS. And of course, average joe's car has only one cig lighter for power, here we go, you need an adapter to make the one cig lighter into two, and they usually sticking out, and also with two cables comparing to one, and while transferring a baby from front seat to the back seat, his feet antangle with the two wires, or kicking on the sticking out power adapter and yank the tablet from windshielf which landed on the floor.........you get the picture. Really, most people talk about the $ when comparing N810 vs N800 + BT GPS (50$) or BT keyboard (75$), but in actual use, it worthes a lot more than the $125.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-06-12 at 09:58.

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 228 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Ontario & Iceland
Good arguments on both sides so it comes down to what you're expecting. If you already have the N800 then you won't get much with the 810 except for the integrated keyboard and GPS. I wouldn't change but might have picked the 810 to start with. However I personally don't get excited about GPS, I can always find my way. I do have a BT GPS which works very well (better than what I hear about the 810's lag). I don't see the point in turn by turn driving assistance 99% of the time. Might be fine for certain situations but day to day it is a waste as far as I'm concerned. I don't use GPS for help getting there, I use it for fun to show where I've been, maps are interesting but 'turn left' is a gimmicky distraction. This past weekend I needed to drive a couple hours into a back country area that I've never been to. A quick google before I left was all I needed and the GPS wasn't looked at until I got back to plot out my tracks just for reference.

I keep my typing needs to a minimum on the N8 anyway so a keyboard would be nice but not essential. Bookmarks, icons, and the contact list for the SIP phone are what is most useful for me. The 810 wouldn't improve things enough since I already have the 800. But it has a coolness factor if that was important. Starting over I might get the 810.

now WiMAX might entice me to upgrade but I'm not holding my breath since I'm in Canada, the land the primitive and evil cell providers. I don't own a cell, the SIP function of the N8* is the critical feature so WiMAX would be a real benefit since cell data up here is out of the question.

Nice points guys,
The thing is that im a college student and last semester used the n800 for email (around campus we have wifi) and the problem was that it was quite hard to reply to those emails with an onscreen keyboard so a detachable one would almost be out of the question.
On the other hand what is the projected release time of the next NIT?

Originally Posted by Kolyan View Post
Nice points guys,
The thing is that im a college student and last semester used the n800 for email (around campus we have wifi) and the problem was that it was quite hard to reply to those emails with an onscreen keyboard so a detachable one would almost be out of the question.
On the other hand what is the projected release time of the next NIT?
Ah well then you would want the N810 if email is your thing, definitely.

No one knows when the next tablet will be out, Nokia won't say a word about it. I would guess the end of the year personally, maybe November so that it's out in time for Christmas, but that's a 100% guess.

For what it's worth, the N800 came out right at the start of 2007, and the N810 came out right at the end of 2007, so there was roughly a year's gap between them.