Active Topics

Notices

Poll: Do you like the dpad on 770, N800 and N810? (for games)
Poll Options
Do you like the dpad on 770, N800 and N810? (for games)

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Collection bin for comments about the d-pad for future internet tablets. I'd like everyone who plays games to vote, and if you voted 'don't like' to leave a brief comment.

(edit) Non-gaming comments certainly welcome here, but if you vote, please vote in the gaming context. A vote about the dpad in general would be in a different forum section, and would get a different set of responses and would serve a different purpose.

Last edited by ArnimS; 2008-06-11 at 14:24. Reason: addendum

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
It works fine for the games I play on it now. If they were to add dedicated game buttons a new one would be nice.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Overall it works okay. It doesn't give me enough feedback when I'm using it, and it bothers me it's not on the right side. However, most of the keypad doesn't give enough feedback -- so this is just a continuance. I do however find it odd it's not on the right side, like most keyboards.

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
I find the Zaurus C-1000/3x00 d-pad preferable to the N800 d-pad. On the n800, it's difficult to avoid pressing the center button when moving between two directions. Also, it's difficult for me to press with the pad of my thumb, forcing me to resort to using my fingernail. Diagonals are difficult as well. Also, it seems to have some issue with auto-repeating, even on short key presses. I'm not sure if this is hardware or software. Really, I find it sub-optimal for almost all uses, not just games. Now that Sharp discontinued the Zaurus, I recommend Nokia should pick up a second-hand C1000 and rip-off the d-pad design wholesale. (Slightly kidding in that last bit, but it would be a big improvement.)

Some suggestions to Nokia:
+ shaped or o shaped d-pad instead of square.
Recess the center button slightly so that it is even with the direction buttons, or even deeper.
Reduce effort to press, while also giving more tactile feedback.

-John

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
My main problem using the D-Pad for games (and anything else for that matter) is the fact that on the N810 the D-pad is found on the slide-out keyboard and using "Up" is very difficult because there's not enough space between the bottom of the top part that slides up and the D-pad itself. My fingers aren't even big (I'm a woman) and I still have a hard time - don't know how you guys manage.

I think the dpad has gone downhill with every version, but it's not that great to begin with. I second most of what Johnx said and would like to see few more buttons on both sides of the tablet. Maybe sliding gaming controls from both sides would do the trick

The Following User Says Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
I'm working on my own little fix for this I got the idea from this. http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/06/s...shift-gamepad/ but mine is going to split the d pad to left and game buttons to right. The one I"m building the N810 kinda sits on top of the device. so the whole unit be be about 1.5 inches thick.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

The directional pad is simply horrible for games. Not enough tactile feedback, uncomfortable to use, very uncomfortable to keep a direction down, difficult to hit diagonals, center button in the way

I dislike the dpad on my N800 since it only goes 4 directions in games and the center button is too easy to press accidently. I would prefer something more like what is on my Tapwave Zodiac. Heck I would like the entire button layout of my N800 to be exactly like the Zodiac. It's perfect for most games.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pushwall For This Useful Post:
Posts: 169 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Tehran-Iran
yes yeah i like THe DPAD on My N800

i am playing PC games .........

But Thinking About A 64 GB !!!!

Os 2008 Chinook,I Have't Trust To Diablo!??